For Immediate Release: May 23, 2019
Save the Date! SCTPO to Hold Annual Open House - 6/4/19
The Space Coast Transportation Planning Organization (SCTPO) will hold a public open house to discuss trending projects in Brevard and the proposed 2020-2024 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) on June 4, 2019. The TIP lists each transportation project to be implemented over the next five years. 

Come share your thoughts about the region’s five-year transportation plan. Voice your vision on the future of transportation planning on the Space Coast! Attendees will have the opportunity to visit stations of interest after the presentation.

Presentation begins @ 5:30 p.m. in Meeting Room #1 at the Central Reference Library located at 308 Forrest Avenue, Cocoa, FL 32922.

For more information, please call 321-690-6890.
Plan on attending? Check in online on or share our   Facebook event .
Texting and Driving Now A Primary Offense In Florida
Florida lawmakers took a big step toward making our roads safer from distracted drivers. Recently, the State House voted  108-7  in favor of a bill that makes texting and driving a primary offense. That bill was signed by Governor Ron DeSantis on May 17, 2019.

The new law will go into effect on July 1, 2019. The provision regarding work zones and school zones will go into a “warning” phase on Oct. 1, 2019, with tickets starting to be issued on Jan. 1, 2020. Read full article .
SCTPO Presents 2019 Bicycle Pedestrian & Trails Advisory Committee Awards
Every year, the Bicycle/Pedestrian and Trails Advisory Committee recognizes individuals and/or groups within the community that have gone above and beyond in their field of expertise, encouraging and promoting bicycle/pedestrian programs. Congrats to this year's winners:

  • Bob Wilbur, Robert S. Kamm Life Time Achievement Award
  • Titusville Police Department, Enforcement Award
  • Cindy Hosken, Valerie Harville Education Award
  • Brevard County Fire Rescue 60, First Responder Award
  • Get Healthy Brevard, Encouragement Award
  • ReThink Your Commute, Encouragement Award
  • Charlene Neuterman-City of Cocoa, Encouragement Award
  • Michael McGrew - Brevard Co. Facilities, Engineering Award

Check out the full photo gallery to learn more about each of the award recipients.
SCTPO Office Closed May 27, 2019: Memorial Day
The Space Coast TPO office will be closed on May 27, 2019, in recognition of Memorial Day.

Due to the holiday weekend, please make sure your plan ahead and be prepared to encounter heavy traffic in certain areas. Have a safe weekend! #JustDrive
Brevard Public Schools Promotes Driver's Ed Opportunities
Brevard Public Schools is currently promoting a Summer Driver's Ed opportunity for BPS High School students who have or can obtain their driving permit by June 1st, 2019. There are still spots at Heritage High, Palm Bay Magnet High and Cocoa High. 

  • Vehicles will be provided. 
  • Scholarship opportunities are available to cover the $120.00 fee.

For dates and additional details, please click here .
SCTPO Publishes Basic Guide to Transportation Planning
In an effort to better communicate the transportation planning process to the general public and committee members, SCTPO staff recently created and published an informational "Basic Guide to Transportation Planning."

The publication discusses SCTPO functions, phases of a roadway, and how to get involved in the planning process.

This guide is the first deliverable in a series of public involvement branding products.

Click here to check out the guide.
Video Feature: Speed Kills
A pedestrian hit by a car going 30 mph has an 80% chance of survival. If the car is going 50 mph, the chance of survival is only 20%. Speed kills. Pledge to slow down.
Space Coast Area Transit Launches Read-To-Ride Program
May 31 - August 11, 2019
Space Coast Area Transit’s Read-To-Ride program is offered the day after school lets out until the day before school begins. Students under the age of 18 who show their free-of-charge Brevard County Library Card will receive free bus fare all summer long.

“Read-To-Ride emphasizes the importance of using Brevard County Libraries as a resource to enhance reading skills during the summer months. It also teaches students how to use the transit system by allowing them to ride the bus for free to the library, mall, beach, and numerous other locations throughout the summer,” stated Scott Nelson, Director of Space Coast Area Transit.

For many local youth, taking the bus is an alternative to being home bound over the summer. Bikes and surfboards are welcome on a space available basis. For Space Coast Area Transit maps and schedules, log on to 321Transit.com or download the 321Transit app at the Apple App store, or on Google Play.
The Space Coast TPO is currently seeking feedback on its news distribution efforts. We'd like to hear your input on our current En Route Newsletter and ways we can tailor your transportation news. Please take a moment to complete this brief survey .
Photo Feature: Palm Bay Elementary, Community Partners Celebrate Bike to School Day
Shout out to   Palm Bay Elementary School for hosting an amazing  #BikeToSchoolDay  event. Teachers and students rode together, and  Thrifty Specialty Produce & Meats of Palm Bay supported the event by providing healthy snacks. Great job!
City of Cape Canaveral Re-Installs Beachside Mobi-Mats
The City of Cape Canaveral recently re-installed three Mobi-Mats at beach crossovers located at Monroe Ave, Buchanan Ave and Polk Ave.

Mobi-Mats are lightweight portable rollout NON-SLIP matting that is temporarily or permanently laid down on the ground to provide non-slip and traffic resistant access for all (wheelchairs, strollers, pedestrians) on sand, grass, or other soft and unstable surfaces.
Calendar Items
Meetings
  • NO JUNE MEETINGS
  • May 27: SCTPO OFFICE CLOSED

Outreach Events/Public Open Houses
  • June 4: SCTPO Annual Open House
  • June 4: Bike Rodeo: Eau Gallie Library
  • June 6: Palm Bay City Council - SCTPO Presentation, Speaker: Georganna Gillette
  • June 10: Space Coast League of Cities, Speaker: Georganna Gillette
Space Coast TPO| 2725 Judge Fran Jamieson Way Viera, FL 32940| 321-690-6890 | Email | Website | 
Title VI/Non-discrimination : For questions regarding our civil rights adherence policies, please contact Abby Hemenway, Title VI Coordinator, at abby.hemenway@brevardfl.gov or call 321-690-6890.