Publishing the New FairTSA Standard 4.0
While it took us a little longer to work on the new standard and its appendices, the new version is now published as of October 1, 2020!
First, we would like to thank all those who have commented and gave input. Secondly, we would like to ensure all partners that there are no immediate changes necessary and we will ensure a smooth and reasonable transition.
Please note: There will be a one-year transition period where certification under Standard Version 3.2 is still permissible, until September 30, 2021.
Here are some of the new features:
• We reorganized and reformatted the standard so that it is easier to reference.
• The readability of the standard was improved without making it too complex,
so that an interested layperson would be able to understand the main
• All ILO conventions are referenced in our labor requirements to increase
• We kept the structure with a separate Guide for Inspection and Certification,
which gives additional guidance and clearly defines major non-compliances. It
also defines sanctions more precisely to maintain fairness among all certified
operations regardless of the certification agency, and at the same time makes
the job for inspectors and reviewers easier. This structure also improves
readability of the standard.
• The requirements for Social Responsibility certification are considerably easier
• We are also introducing new certification options for textile operations, with one
based on the Global organic Textile Standard (GOTS) and another based on the
Global Recycled Standard.
• In addition, we are introducing a new logo on a test basis for Socially
Responsible Processing of non-food products. We do this to support smaller
processors and manufacturers and let them participate in our lean and
inexpensive certification system. We will closely monitor the development of
this program part.
Timeline for Inspectors and Cooperating Certifiers:
• Standard Version 4.0 is published on October 1, 2020
• On October 1,2020 we will also publish the Version 3.22 of our FairTSA System Plans and Inspection Reports both in English and Spanish. They will remain valid and can be used through September 30, 2021.
• Version 4.0 of System Plans and Inspection Reports will be published in January 2021.
• We will start with completely overhauled inspector/reviewer trainings in January 2021.
• Also, in January 2021 we will roll out a specific shortened training for the administrative personnel of our Cooperating Certification Agencies.
Please check our website at www.fairtsa.org for frequent updates regarding the transition to the standard. If you have questions or concerns, please contact us and we’ll be happy to discuss it.