We had new Macs and iPads in June and now we have new iPhones, a new Apple Watch and a new Apple TV to complete the hardware upgrades for Apple. Then throw in new operating systems for each device to seal the deal. I will touch on a little bit of everything and what I like best so keep reading.....
iPhone 8 and X
- iPhone 8: Everyone thought this would be the iPhone 7s but Apple surprised us all with an 8. This new iPhone is fast with a new processor and is in the same form factor as the iPhone 7. It is also water resistant like the 7 and will survive a toilet dive. Gone are the days of a 16GB phone, the 8 starts at 64GB which is a huge improvement! What's new with this phone is wireless charging called Qi (Chi) and is an industry standard. No more plugging your phone into and electrical outlet to charge it. Just lay it and your other devices down on the charging plate and it charges. True Tone on this new phone is a new technology that makes pictures crisper and brighter and is easier on your eyes for reading. The iPhone 8 starts at $699 and the larger 8 Plus starts at $799 and it is available now.
- iPhone X: It was so weird that Apple introduced two new iPhones at the same time making the iPhone 8 obsolete within ten minutes, or did they? The X (pronounced ten) has a different form factor and only comes in one size... big! It has everything the iPhone 8 has but has added a Super Retina display and Face ID and removed the Home Button. No more finger print sensor, just your face will do.This iPhones starting price is $999 and is available for pre-order at the end of October.
- iPhone 7, 6 and SE: The iPhone 7 is still here for $549.That's a great deal for a great phone. The 6 is still available for those of you who have to have a headphone jack as it has been removed from the 7 and above. The iPhone 6 starts at $499. The iPhone SE is around for those of you who just want a little something that is great and for a great price at $349. It's a tiny but mighty phone.
Which one would I buy?:
I will get the 8 Plus as soon as my contract is up in March. I don't want the X because it is the first one of that size, with the home button removed and Face ID, so I will wait until they get the bugs out. The 8 has had time to progress from the 6 so the bugs are gone. It has enough of the new stuff without being overly new plus it's not $1,000! The true tone display in an 8 plus size should be fantastic for reading and I read on my phone all the time. So Apple didn't make a mistake releasing both phones at the same time? I think not.
Apple TV and Apple Watch:
- 4K Apple TV: The 4K Apple TV has been introduced for those of you who have a new 4K television and a provider that broadcasts in 4K. You also must have a super fast and adequate Internet connection, so if you live in the country, that leaves you out. The starting price is $179
- Apple Watch Series 3: The new Apple Watch Series 3 with GPS and Cellular is truly a Dick Tracy watch in that it has a tiny cell Simm inside so you can leave your iPhone behind. But there is a price for that as you will need to purchase a contract for the watch with your cell phone company. The watch starts at $399.
Which one would I buy?:
None of the above. Apple has great stuff but they forget about the other half of the Country that has inadequate Internet speeds. If you live in town, you have great speeds and service. Get out in the Country a little and you go down to old cell towers and satellite. Both of which will not work with this new technology. I have a first generation Apple watch and it's great! I will wait until they incorporate a Oxygen sensor into the watch. My Apple TV 4th generation is awesome and works with everything. Who needs 4K!