The hustle and bustle of the holiday season are upon us! This can be a joyful time that reminds us of the importance of family and friends. However, this can be a challenging time of year for children and youth in care and their families. The same can be said for foster families and relative caregivers.
As a result, this can be an excellent opportunity for you, your colleagues at your agency, and your Foster Parent Champions, to reach out to your foster and relative caregiving families and let them know that you are thinking about them and appreciate them! Some ideas for your consideration.
- Ask if there are any resources that they may need
- Remind them of the importance of self-care to prevent compassion fatigue
- Consider having your agency mail out personalized cards
- Share respite care resources
- If possible, provide families with gift cards
- Reach out with an “I was just thinking of you” telephone call
- Send out a card from JJ, CPS, and Ongoing Workers with personalized notes of thanks and gratitude
- Send out a card from your Management Team expressing their appreciation to your foster and relative caregiving families
Reaching out to your families during the holiday season and throughout the year can and will make a tremendous difference. After all, “Sometimes the smallest things can make the biggest difference.”
The Coalition wishes you and your colleagues a peaceful, safe, and joyful holiday season. Thank you for all the support you provide your foster and caregiving families throughout the year!