The tradition of Graduation this evening indicates we are approaching the end of the 2018-2019 school year.
We begin our last week of school celebrating all that our 8
grade has accomplished during their 9 years at Queen of Angels Catholic School.
The Media Center hosts its annual book swap tomorrow, May 22
Students will have the opportunity to choose books that have been donated. While we have been assured that the books being donated are appropriate for the various grade levels, we ask parents to review the selections made by their children when they arrive home.
A special communication was sent home last week about the final two days of school – Olympic Day on May 23
and the close of school on May 24
Details regarding Olympic Day were sent home in last Thursday’s folder and available through this
We invite all to join us for Mass and Awards.
Following Mass, students will return to their homerooms to receive their yearbook, collect signatures, and “pack up” for the summer.
Sign-out will be through the pods beginning at 11:00am. The school will close at 12noon (there is no EDP on this day).
Looking ahead to the 2019-2020 school year, I want to provide information and updates for our parents:
Faculty & Staff
I have kept our community informed of the changes in faculty and staff for the 2019-2020 school year. Our teaching faculty and staff is in place for the new year and I again express my deepest appreciation for those members of QA that will leaving us.
A special communication will be sent in mid-July regarding the beginning of the school year including homeroom placement and important information about the first week of school. Additional updates and details to be provided in the July communication.
- With the input of parents, faculty, and administration, Welcome Back Day and the 1st day of school will be combined next year with the first day on August 7th. A schedule for the day will be included in the summer newsletter. This is a full day for all students except for Kindergarten.
- Save the date – Orientations on August 7th - A special session for 6th grade parents be held on the afternoon of August 7th to familiarize parents with the Middle School program. Time to be determined. Kindergarten - the first day of school will be a ½ day for Kindergarten students. Parents will meet in the cafeteria after morning drop-off for coffee, hosted by the administration and Kindergarten faculty, to familiarize parents with details of the QA Kindergarten program. There will be time to go to the gymnasium to meet with members of the H.S.A. and other representatives for information on our extracurricular programs and carpool procedures. Parents of students in 3rd grade and entering the iPod will have a special night of orientation during the first week of school (TBD).
- From the H.S.A., online volunteer signups will be live prior to the first day of school. A special communication from the H.S.A. will provide specifics.
We are awaiting CENGI approval for the following projects:
- Replace existing lighting and ballasts with LED lighting. This has been discussed in prior years but has become a priority for Queen of Angels due to energy consumption and the current ballasts reaching the 20-year life span. Much research and input has been done with recommendations from the maintenance supervisor and Facility Committee of the Advisory Council.
- Add a restroom for visitors/adults on the Art Room hallway in a supply closet that is currently allocated to maintenance. Concurrently, a sink will be added to back up to the proposed STREAM lab.
- Create a STREAM lab in the current location of the Enrichment/Spanish room to enable project-based learning for students in grades K-8.
NOTE: The lab will include a Lego building wall.
If you have Legos that you would like to donate to the STREAM lab, please sort by color in Ziploc bags and drop them off in the bin in the front office area. I am also collecting Magatiles if you have sets that are no longer being used in your home.
- The term “Winter Uniform” was changed to “Dress Uniform” to reflect use throughout the year when Summer Uniform is not in effect.
- The only change in uniform will be the addition of oxford cloth shirts for the 5th grade girls during the period of “Dress Uniform”
- A reminder that proper layering of clothing in cold weather follows this order: long sleeve shirt; QA sweater or QA sweater vest; QA polar fleece; heavy jacket.
School hours for the summer months are 9:00am to 3:00pm Monday thru Friday.
school is closed the first two weeks of July
to allow for the three named projects to be completed as well as routine maintenance, painting, carpet cleaning, etc.
If you are in need of assistance throughout the summer months, please feel free to contact a member of our administrative staff.
In closing, I wish to extend my appreciation and gratitude to the community of Queen of Angels for a wonderful school year. I pray each family and member of our faculty and staff have a restful and safe summer. We look forward to welcoming you back to school in August.