Grace and peace to you on this last Tuesday in July. I pray that you are finding joy in each moment and peace for the journey.
Hopefully by now you have received a copy of a brochure (BROCHURE) created for you by our Vision Team (see names below) and The James Company, an organization we have been working with to help us in this process. This information is also now posted on the main page of our website: www.firstpres-durham.org. If you would like a hard copy, please contact the church office (919-682-5511 or office) and we will send you one.
The brochure includes a survey (SURVEY) that we hope you will complete before August 8. You can submit this survey online or you can mail or drop a paper version at the church (305 E. Main Street, Durham, NC 27701). We appreciate your input as we seek to discern the way forward!
As we move into a season of celebration of 150 years in the heart of Durham (our birthday is December 31, 2021!), we look back with gratitude for the vision of those who founded this church and the faithfulness of those who built on this vision across these many years. We also look forward in faith, toward the next 150 years, and consider where God is leading us.
This summer, we explore these questions (among others):
· What might God have in store for this beloved community in the heart of Durham for the next 150 years?
· How can we respond to racism, poverty, brokenness, and injustice in Durham and beyond?
· How do we continue to build on the strong foundation of a welcoming, supportive, generous, justice-seeking, faithful community?
· What new directions might God be opening to us?
· How does our physical location, building, and parking provide opportunities for ministry with and service to the community?
· How can we improve our accessibility to the community at large?
I hope you will join with our team in one of three informational sessions. The first one is online this Thursday, July 29 at 6:30 p.m. (ZOOM). Two other sessions will be in person: after worship on Sunday, August 1 and the other at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, August 2 (see website for more information). We may also be able to add an additional online session if enough people are interested. I welcome the opportunities we will have to explore these questions together.
Friends, it is a privilege to be among those who listen for the Holy Spirit as we discern God’s vision for us of inclusive, compassionate, and joyful ministry to Durham and beyond! I am grateful to be on this journey of faithful inquiry, exploration, and visioning with you.
With much love,
Request a brochure
Zoom Link - July 29 Meeting