A lumberjack was once asked, "What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?" He answered, "I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my ax." Returning from my sabbatical leave, I feel that I have been blessed with the incredible gift of time to reflect on my ministry at FPC and months to sharpen my proverbial ax.
Tomorrow evening (and over the following two Thursday evenings), I will share some of the insights I gained while on sabbatical as well as discuss the spiritual discipline of sabbath keeping. Join me for one or all of these special sessions. Here is the link for the Thursday evening (7 p.m.) Zoom call: Click Here or use the following...
Meeting ID: 856 6197 1706
I look forward to seeing you!
Thurs, Sept 10
Food Drive at Canyon Creek Presbyterian Church: 9:30 - 11:30 am
Sabbattical/Sabbath discussion with Pastor David via Zoom: 7 pm
Sun, Sept 13
Adult Sunday School class via Zoom: 9 am
Fellowship Coffee Hour - Zoom: 9:30 am
Worship via Facebook: 10:30 am
|Tues, Sept 15||Pastors' Bible Study via Zoom - 5 -6 pm|
to the Tillinghasts
It is always hard to say "Goodbye" to good friends. And it is even harder when you can't do it in person in times such as these. Bob and Jill Tillinghast, long time FPCR members and friends, are making their anticipated move to Austin. It still seems too soon but here it is. They will be missed. So how do we say "Goodbye"?
A suggestion: send them a note, card, welcome to Austin, etc., message to their new home. We all know how much fun it is to get REAL mail. And this can be spread out over time. The new address is:
11421 Archstone, Austin, TX 78739
Friday, October 2,
2020Sherrill Park Golf Course
2001 E. Lookout Drive | Richardson, TX 75082
Tee-times will be assigned between 9:30 am
and 12:30 pm for all teams.
Join us for the 23rd Annual Golf Outing on October 2, 2020 at Sherrill Park Golf Course! You can help our neighbors in need by participating as a sponsor, foursome or individual player.
Please contact Debbie Cox at 972-234-8880 ext. 107
if you have any questions.
The first Pastors' Bible Study will take place on Tuesday, September 15, from 5:00-6:00 pm via Zoom. Everyone is invited! All you'll need is a Bible. Optional prep work is to read over a brief weekly article from the Presbyterian Outlook (Looking Into the Lectionary). We'll reference the article some during our time together.
Click here to register for the Zoom meeting. Let Pastor Rosy know if you have any questions.
& Corn Soup
By Jo Bowen
Fall is finally here and it's the perfect time for a hearty and comforting soup dinner!
It may be featured in an upcoming ePress!
Don't be Scammed!
**NEVER give out any personal information -
over the phone,
email or text**
Unfortunately, there are continually new scams to steal personal information - credit card, bank account, driver's license number and social security number.
Please read the newest scams listed below.
- If you receive an email from any church member, staff, or anyone outside of the church asking for financial help or gift cards of any kind, please know that it is a scam.
- A phone call or email telling you that you have been exposed to COVID-19 and volunteering to send you a testing kit. They will ask for a credit card number to pay for the shipping. This is a scare tactic to get your credit card information or Social Security number.
- If something should ever pop up on your computer saying your computer has been compromised and gives you a phone number to call for support - DO NOT CALL OR REPLY IN ANY WAY!! This gives hackers a backdoor into your computer and they will steal any private information they can get.
- If you receive a text or email that might even be personalized with your name saying something similar to: "We found a parcel from a recent shipment owed to you. Kindly assume ownership and confirm for delivery", and it will list a link to click on. IT IS A SCAM - DO NOT OPEN OR CLICK ON THE LINK.
- If you receive a phone call from someone wanting to verify your name or address, DO NOT REPLY "YES". They are wanting you to reply with "Yes" so they can record your voice and use it to buy/sign up for fraudulent purchases, services or credit cards.
Don't answer any text messages, emails or phone calls from people or numbers you do not know.
NEVER EVER GIVE OUT
ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION.
Online Gatherings - Every Friday at Noon
We are continuing to offer an online gathering
each week as a way to process and share grief.
Please join us every Friday at Noon.
Click here to receive the link to join.
CONTINUE TO SUPPORT FPCR
Even though our doors are closed temporarily, your pastors, staff, session and many volunteers are all still hard at work to be there for each of you during this time.
Please remember to continue with your giving and pledges by clicking the link below or mail your offerings.
** Please note new mailing address **
First Presbyterian Church
PO Box 831985
Richardson, TX 75083
CALLING ALL PRAY-ERs!
If you would like to receive the church's prayer
concerns list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
An updated list will be emailed each week.
TEACHERS FOR THE
2020-2021 SCHOOL YEAR
Recognizing the unusual and demanding challenges teachers face this school year because of COVID-19, we want to identify and pray for FPCR members (or family members) who are teaching this year. Our developing list of names is below. Please lift them in your prayers and email any additions to Lisa@fpcrichardson.org
- Charlie Anderson - RISD (Latin)
- Judy Bozone - Texas A&M Commerce (Music Theory)
- Sarah Mathieu Burdick - Lamplighter School (Pre-K)
Josh Carter (Lisa's son) - Richland College (Game Technology)
- Mary Mathieu Farrington - RISD (Counselor)
- John Fattaruso - SMU (Physics)
- Andy Forisha - United States Naval Academy (Math)
- Kate Forisha - Plano ISD (Administrator)
- Stephen Forisha - Carrollton Farmers Branch ISD (Math)
- Nancy Freeman - Mesquite ISD (Science)
- Katie Gassensmith - Frisco ISD (Music
- Wayne Geyer - Texas A&M Commerce Graduate Assistant
- Lyna Colbaugh Gonzalez - RISD (Librarian)
- Julia Haun - UTD (Interdisciplinary Studies)
- David Hughes - Frisco ISD (Math)
- Jessica Fandrick Kirkland - Allen ISD (3rd Grade)
- Valerie Lormor - Austin ISD (Kindergarten)
- Sarah Rowley - DePauw University (History)
- Stefani Stewart - GISD (Special Ed)
- Barbara Sucher - RISD (Counselor)
- Sarah Wright - RISD (Substitute)
COVID-19 PRAYER CONCERNS
Front Line Healthcare Workers
Treating COVID-19 Patients
Patrick Hammontree, Physical Therapist for Urgent Care Patients and COVID screener at Medical City
Sue Moyer (Mary Stewart's daughter) - ER nurse in Glenwood, Colorado
Madeline Katz (granddaughter of Suzanne Katz) - nurse on COVID-19 wing at Baylor/Dallas
Dr. Jeff Gotts (son of Ernie & Lindy Gotts) - MD in the ICU of Univ. of CA, San Francisco
Marcia Franzen (daughter of Beverly & Marty Gallagher) - nurse on COVID-19 ward in Stockholm
Ally Stilwell (Pastor Rosy's best friend) - infectious diseases pharmacist in Brooklyn, NY
Jack & Tracy Childress (Lisa Carter's brother & sister-in-law) - ER Dr. and nurse in Gainesville
as of 9.2.20
Revenues: YTD Budget YTD Actual
Pledged Receipts $366,528.64 $357,477.38
SBA PPP Loan/grant $ 69,300.00
Other Receipts $ 68,000.00 $ 73,756.45
Total Revenues $434,528.64 $500,533.83
Total Expenses $434,528.32 $430,147.81
Net Total $70,386.02
|December 12 (Saturday AM)|
PRESBYTERY MEETING DATES
|September 26, 2020 - Austin College, Sherman (Canceled)|
November 14, 2020 - Canyon Creek, Richardson
Click on items below:
to access previous worship services.
Prophets in Pajamas
Sunday - 9 am
God commands us to love one another. Explore with us the evolution of this command in the passages from the Old and New Testament and the challenges it presents us today.
New Link: Click here
to register in advance for all summer
Sunday - 9:30 am
Click here to register in advance through Nov 1.
Children's Sunday School will resume October 4
are a great way to start your day!
(Parents Night Out)
There will be no First Friday offered until further notice.
Watch this space for updates.