First United Methodist Church Brewton
TONIGHT @ FUMC:
Wednesday, November 29, 2017
- Dinner @ 5:30-6:00pm (Ham, macaroni & cheese, green beans, roll and dessert) @ $5/person
- Hanging of the Greens Practice (Children) @ 5:45-6:05pm
- Adult study (Fellowship hall): Advent study
- Women’s Small Group (Parlor)
- Youth (Youth room): XP3: Best Seller study...When it comes to the Bible, do you ever wonder what all the fuss is about? In this series, we’ll unpack what the big deal is as we discover that the Bible can be a useful and powerful tool that impacts our lives today.
- Children (Education building classrooms): see below
- Pre-school class: “First Look” curriculum designed with age-appropriate activities to affirm three basic truths for early ages: God Made Me, God Loves Me and Jesus Wants to Be My Friend Forever.
- “252 Kids” Orange curriculum designed to teach three basic and powerful truths for K-6th: I need to make the wise choice, I can trust God, and I should treat others the way I want to be treated. Students will be divided into two groups (K-3rd & 4th-6th grades) for age-appropriate activities.
- Adult choir (Choir room):
- 6:15pm (for those singing the anthems on Sunday)
- 7:15pm (Christmas Cantata Practice) Cantata is Sunday, December 10th
2017 Lenten sermon series and small group study
Join us at FUMC for the Advent season this year, beginning December 3rd and continuing through Christmas Eve, as we journey together through Max Lucado's resource, "Because of Bethlehem." We will experience together in worship as well as in small group settings the story of Bethlehem and the promise that God is always near us, always for us, and always in us!
2018 FUMC Stewardship Campaign “Abundantly More”
The central theme of our Stewardship Campaign this year centers around our relationship with Jesus and his promise in John 10:10 about living abundantly. Each week, we will feast together on the message of abundant living and reflect on our own transformative stories of holding fast to God who loves extravagantly. Pledge cards are now available and can be returned during the offering each week or to the church office by the end of November. Each of us has the unique opportunity to place our trust in our Father who owns it all, knowing that He can provide for all of our needs with abundantly more. Let’s be good stewards, give generously, and make eternal investments into God’s kingdom through FUMC in 2018!
Hanging of the Greens Sunday -
December 3rd at the morning worship service.
This celebration marks the beginning of the Advent season as we prepare for the coming of Christmas.
Children’s choir, arrive at 9:30am to rehearse.
Honor or Memorialize your loved ones by purchasing Christmas poinsettias
These beautiful plants of the season will be placed in the sanctuary on December 10th and will remain through the candlelight service on Sunday, December 24th. They are $15.00 each. You may place your orders by completing an envelope with your payment and placing it in the offering plate or dropping it by the church office.
Orders must be placed by Sunday, December 3rd.
UMW Christmas Choral Luncheon
- December 8th (11:30am)
The community is cordially invited to the annual Christmas Choral Luncheon at FUMC on Friday, December 8th at 11:30. This special event includes a Christmas choral concert by the T.R. Miller Singers at 11:30 in the sanctuary, followed by a delicious luncheon in the Fellowship Hall. Sponsored by the United Methodist Women (UMW), proceeds from the luncheon's ticket sales benefit the T.R. Miller Choral Program and the ministries of the UMW. Tickets are
each and must be purchased before December 4th due to limited seating. Tickets ARE NOW available in the Church Office between the hours of 8am-4pm Monday through Thursday (closed from 12-1), and 8am-noon on Friday. Make checks payable to UMW. For more information, contact the church office at 867.8051.
FUMC Choir Christmas Cantata, “Sing Joy to All the World”
- Sunday, December 10
UMC adult choir, plus members from other local churches, and orchestral instruments will help us celebrate the joy of the season. This wonderful presentation will celebrate the story of hope and everlasting light found in Jesus Christ through the blending of new and familiar Christmas melodies. Dessert reception to follow.
Crepe Myrtle Christmas Luncheon -
Friday, December 15th@ 11am
ake sure your Angel Tree gifts are returned to the church by Wednesday, 12/13
WE’RE COOKING AGAIN!
The United Methodist Men have pulled out the smoker to help raise funds for their Wheel Chair Ramp Ministry. Ham pickup dates are December 21st & 22nd
(11am until 4pm). Hams can be purchased for $30 by contacting the Methodist Men at 251-238-0237.
Youth Meltdown Retreat deposit ($50) due
Meltdown is an annual youth conference at the beach that brings together students (7th-12th grades) from all over Northwest Florida and South Alabama for a weekend (January 26-28, 2018) that will draw them closer to God and to each other. Contact Jamie Sanford for more information.
Children's Volunteers Needed on Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights
We are looking for volunteers to help with Preschool and K-3rd Sunday School classes on Sunday mornings as well as Wednesday night children's classes. If you are interested, contact the office or email
Wednesday, November 29th @ 5:45pm
— Children’s practice for Hanging of the Greens service
Thursday, November 30th @ Noo
n — Primetimers (FUMC Fellowship Hall) All adults 55+ are invited!
Sunday, December 3rd @ 10:50am
— Hanging of the Greens Worship Service
Monday, December 4th @ noon
-- Poinsettia order forms due to church office
Monday, December 4th @ 6pm
— Men’s Fellowship Dinner (FUMC Fellowship Hall)
Wednesday, December 6th @ 5pm
(Parlor) — Children’s Council Meeting
Wednesday, December 6th @ 6pm
(Fellowship Hall) — FUMC Charge Conference
Thursday, December 7th @ 8am-2pm
-Blood Drive @ TRM high school. For each person that donates blood,
$10 will be donated to Rockport High School in Texas that was heavily damaged by Hurricane Harvey.
— FUMC White Christmas offering to benefit the United Methodist Children's Home
ber 10th @ 7pm
— FUMC Christmas Choir Cantata (Reception to follow in fellowship hall)
Wednesday, December 13th
- Wrapped Crete Myrtle gifts due to church office
Thursday, December 14th @ 4:30pm
— W.S Neal Middle School Choir Performance @ FUMC ($2 donation)
Friday, December 15th @ 11am
- Crete Myrtle Christmas luncheon
Saturday, December 16th @ 10am
- Children's Christmas Pageant practice (sanctuary)
Sunday, December 17th @ 10:50am
— Children's Christmas Pageant
Wednesday, December 20th
- FUMC Family outing to see "The Star" Christmas movie (Windcreek theater)
Sunday, December 24th
— Christmas Eve Worship Services
- Morning worship @ 10:50am (Casual Family Worship)
- Come and Go Communion @ 4-5pm
- Candlelight Service with Communion @ 5:30pm
Sunday, January 7th -
Dr. Darren McClellan (Baypines District Superintendent) preaches in worship @ 10:50am
Sunday, January 14th @ 10:50am
- Baby Recognition Sunday
Sunday, January 14th @ Noon
- Safe Sanctuaries & Safety training for children's/youth volunteers & ushers
Meltdown Youth Winter Retreat deposit due
($50). The retreat is January 26-28, 2018.
Communities of Transformation meets every Tuesda
y @ 5:30pm in the fellowship hall. All are invited to
attend and encouraged to invite others to participate in this life-changing ministry in our community.
Contact Shae Hines (COT Coordinator) for more information at 334-467-8801.
Scripture for Sunday, December 3rd:
"Through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand.
And we boast in the hope of the glory of God."
FUMC PRAYER LIST:
New Prayer Concerns for Our Church Members:
Ongoing Prayer Concerns from Our Church:
Linda Fuqua, Jim Bilder, Beverly Stark, Carolyn Jennings, Louise Joyner, Sally Cain, Jenny Golson
Friends & Family of Church Members:
Michael McFadden, brother of Verna Herdman; Steve Ferguson, friend of Heath Madison; Judy McCrory, cousin of Ann Marie Sasser; Gene Hudson, former FUMC member; Laurel Blackwell, friend of Deborah Marriott and founder of COT; Crawford Pernici, child of Margaret and Michael Pernici and friend of Mary Kathryn Adams; Clyde Gibson, friend of Jane Rotch; Clara Burch, mother of Linda Johnson; Cindy Dixon, daughter of Jane Dixon and friend of James Deatherage; Shelba Kain, family member of Leigh Kelly; Susan Miller, friend of Libby Davis; Ruthie Raybon, grandmother of Rene Mathews.
Ongoing Prayer Concerns from the Community:
Carlton Blackburn, father of Carla Turner; Bill Driskell, father of Melissa Coleman; Pam Bingemann-Davis, sister of Sylvia Peach.; Doug Bell, friend of David Jennings; Whitney Hampton, friend in community; Kelsie Padgett, granddaughter of Larry & June Padgett; Thomas Winkler, son-in-law of Barbara Page.
Please check for ongoing prayer concerns on the back of your monthly church calendar
Partner Churches in Red Bird Missionary Conference:
Thousand Sticks UMC, Beach Fork UMC & Lower Beach Fork UMC, Pastors Robert Amundson, Dan Griffiths
Partner Church in Cameroon:
The Hope United Methodist Church, Pastor David Njie.
Missionaries in Cameroon
Rev. and Mrs. Nkemba and Mbwizu Ndjungu
Others in Foreign Missions:
Ben Roberts, brother of Tom Roberts.
Carter Kelly, The Naval Nuclear Power Training Command, Goose Creek, South Carolina; Corey Rilling, Barksdale AFB, LA; Tyler Hyde, Kuwait.
Matt Wall, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Grover Smith, Monte McGougin, Dylan Byrd, Heath Madison
Email your prayer requests to firstname.lastname@example.org
Sundays @ FUMC:
UMC Children - Sunday Mornings @ 9:45am-
These three groups (preschool, K-3rd and 4th-6th grades) will utilize the “Dig In” curriculum which utilizes creative, multi-sensory teaching that immerses children in deep Bible learning, helping them to know Jesus personally and grow in relationship with him.
FUMC Youth—Sunday Mornings @ 9:45am-
Youth will have worship with music and devotion.
Sunday school classes & small groups meet weekly @ 9:45am
- Oasis Class (40’s-60’s) (Oasis classroom behind sanctuary) This Sunday School class, led by Anne Rilling, Madeline Hildreth & Tammi Deatherage, will meet weekly and will begin with the book, “The Faith of a Mockingbird” and then follow a format of book studies and discussion.
- Couples class (20’s-50’s) (Parlor) This small group, led by Melanie and Matt Sasser, will meet weekly to develop significant Christian relationships centered on the study and application of God's Word.
- Men’s Small Group/Sunday school “Iron Sharpens Iron” (Fellowship Hall) This class is designed for men and is held in the Fellowship hall each Sunday. The class will have regular Bible study, prayer, discipleship and accountability. During our meetings, we typically include some mix of discussion, interactive Bible study, group discussions and prayer. This class is currently studying the books of Proverbs and Ecclesiastes.
- Senior Adults - Aldersgate class (Library) This class utilizes the Adult Bible study curriculum and is lecture style
- Co-Ed Adults (55+) – John Douglas class (John Douglas classroom) This class utilizes the Adult Bible study curriculum and is discussion style
- Adults (60+) - Oxford class (Oxford classroom) This class is a Bible study and is discussion style
- Adults (50+) – “I Don’t Do Sunday School” class (Susan Albertolli classroom) This class utilizes the Adult Bible study curriculum and is lecture style
Stay up-to-date with FUMC Updates to your cell phone via text message!
Join one or more of the 3 FUMC Remind groups via Remind app:
- FUMC Children’s activities and updates: text @childfumc to 81010.
- FUMC Youth activities and updates: text @youthfumc2 to 81010.
- FUMC General Updates: text @umcbrewton to 81010.
Get CONNECTED…Volunteer Opportunities (WE NEED YOUR HELP):
Sunday morning greeters
– weekly at 9:30-9:45am and 10:30-10:50am [need 4-6 for side door and parking lot]. Contact the church office if you would like to serve!
Join the nursery ministry team today and assist in the nursery by reading books, playing with children, greeting parents and helping in many other ways. We strive to have at least one volunteer in the nursery each week with the nursery staff and hope you will consider this volunteer opportunity.