ESL Standards Proficient Instructor Training is strongly recommended by ICCB for all ESL instructors. It has three components:
Introduction to ESL Standards online course through iLEARN (5 hours)
- Two webinars (3 hours each)
- Final assignment (3 hours)
Participation is open to ESL instructors employed by ICCB-funded adult education programs only. There is no cost to attend.
Step 1: Meet the Eligibility Requirements
Instructors must be “ESL Preferred Instructors” as outlined on the ICCB ESL Instructional Staff Professional Pathway by meeting 5 criteria:
- Proficiency in English
- Technology/Digital Literacy proficiency
- Completion of professional development relevant to ESL
- Experience with English language learners
- Training or coursework in ESL teaching methodology, to be met in one of these ways:
- MA-TESOL degree
- ESL Endorsement on a state K-12 teaching license
- ESL certificate from a recognized institution of higher education
Certificate from the iLEARN course ESL Methods (7 hrs)
Step 2: Apply to Participate in Training
Eligible instructors must apply (link below) to participate in training.
Step 3: Register for a Training Cohort
Links to register for a cohort of your choice will be sent when your application is approved.
Three virtual cohorts of ESL Standards Proficient Instructor Training will be held in FY23.