The Police Department would like to offer the following tips to keep yourself safe when out and about.
Helpful tips for runners and walkers:
1) Do not run or walk alone. Two people are harder to control than one, so attackers are less likely to strike and if they do, you’ve just doubled your chance of survival;
2) Do not walk or run with earphones. When loud music is blaring in your ears, it is difficult to hear a potential attacker approaching from behind. If you must run with music, use one earpiece and switch ears during your run;
3) Alter your route. Walking or running the same route, or the same two routes, day after day, makes you an easy target for stalkers;
4) Run or walk against traffic. It makes it harder for someone to abduct you in a vehicle if you see them coming. This also helps prevent traffic related accidents;
5) Wear reflective material to be easily seen;
6) Always carry identification of some kind. Write your name, phone and blood type on the inside of your athletic shoe and include any other medical information.
Bottom line, do not be an easy target, be aware of your surroundings, and listen to your instincts!