What do you think is the greatest commandment in the entire Bible?
Read Jesus' answer to that question in
Matthew 22:37-39. What did Jesus say? Jesus said that we are Love God and others.
How much should we love God?
- Is it weird to you that God tells us to love Him?
- Does everyone love God?
- Could He have just made us all to love Him without any choice?
Listen to this story, then you decide:
A young inventor once made a robot that did everything he asked it to do. It cooked pancakes for breakfast, it washed the dishes, it cleaned his room, and it fed the dog - just as it had been programmed to do. The young inventor was very proud of his robot. He took his robot with him everywhere he went, and people were amazed by all the useful things the robot could do for the young inventor.
One night, as the robot was tucking the young inventor into bed, just as it had been programmed to do, the young inventor thought to himself, "I sure do love my robot. It does everything I tell it to do. I wonder if my robot loves me too?"
So the inventor asked his robot, "Do you love me, robot?" Of course, the robot said nothing because the young inventor had not programmed it to answer that question. First thing in the morning, the young inventor made some minor adjustments to his robot, then asked again, "Robot, do you love me?" "Yes, sir!" The robot said cheerfully. "I love you more than anything!"
What do you think: Did the robot love the young inventor?
- No! It had no choice to love him; it was only doing what the inventor programmed it to do.
- God did not make us robots. Loving God is a choice.
- If love were not a choice, it would not be love.
What do you think: Do you love the toy that you have with you?
- How do you show love to your toy?
Does that toy love you in return? Why?
- No, your toy cannot make a choice to do something for you.
God created you with the ability to make choices. It pleases Him when you choose to do things that show Him love.
What are some things we can do that show God how much we love Him?
- Psalm 97:12 - We can tell God what we think about Him and thank Him for what He has already done for us.
- Psalm 5:3 - Make time to be with God in prayer and reading His Word.
- 2 Corinthians 9:7 - Give God tithes or offerings.
- Matthew 25:37-40 - Serve and minister to others in need.
- John 14:15 - Read God's Word and obey it.
- 1 Thessalonians 2:7-8 - Responding to others with gentleness in how we speak and touch.
WHY DOES THIS MATTER:
Because God is Love, He wants us to love Him! Sometimes it's hard to know how to show God that you love Him because you can't see Him. God does want us to show Him we love Him, and He tells us how to do it in the Bible. Many times, we show God we love Him by showing love to others!
Talk with God about your love for Him. How will you plan to show your love for God today by what you say, what you do, what you give, who you help, or how you spend your time?