God already knows all about you, but He wants to be known by you so you can be His friend. When you are a friend of God, it will show by how you treat others.
Read and discuss
- What is the first commandment from Jesus? (to love God)
- What is the second commandment from Jesus? (to love others)
- How are these two commandments connected? (they are both "like" the other. This means that you cannot do one without doing the other. For example, if I love God, I will love others; or I can show how I love God by how I love others.)
Read and discuss
- What is God telling us that we should NOT do (think only about ourselves and what we like to do or have)
- What is God telling us that we SHOULD DO instead (think about others and what others like to do or have)
How would tomorrow be different if you practiced thinking only about others and what they liked? Why is it hard to think like this all of the time (
Because we have a sinful heart that only thinks about ourselves.)
What did God do for you to show you how much He loves you? (
- He sent Jesus to die on the cross for me) Jesus died for you to pay your penalty for your sin. He also died so that you can begin to change your heart and love others like God loves you.
WHY DOES THIS MATTER:
Because God is a Personal Spirit, He did the most that anyone can do in showing love for us; He died for us on the cross. Because God is a Personal Spirit, He wants me to know His example and practice loving others.
Knowing how much God loves you, how can you show God that you love Him? You can show God your love for Him, by choosing to love others.
Linked below are two attachments. Click on the images below to access them.
- One attachment is a list of some our church's Homebound members - people that cannot leave their home.
- The other attachment is a download that your parents can print out for you. If you cut along the dotted lines, you will have four small cards that you can color and mail to a few of our Homebound members. Please write their name, your name and the note, "Someone at Florence Baptist Temple loves you" on the back. You can mail as many as you like.
This is a wonderful way to show your love for God by loving these dear people. In this way, you are taking time to think about them and not yourself. If you cannot print the coloring page, use it as an example and draw or create your own.