I'm going to read something, and you tell me if it's true or false and explain why:
- "It is always wrong to be mean to my brother or sister." (T/F)
- "It is always right to do what feels good to me." (T/F)
- "It is always wrong to steal." (T/F)
- "It is always right to do what an adult tells me to do." (T/F)
How did you decide what was right or wrong?
Who do you think decides what's right and wrong behavior?
Can parents, teachers, or policeman decide the standard for righteousness?
Although all of these people should be respected and while they do have power to make rules, none of them can set the standard for righteousness.
How do we decide what is right and wrong? (
God tells us through His word, the Bible, what is right and wrong. We must also listen to what parents, teachers, and policemen tell us about right and wrong.)
God is the only one qualified to tell us what is always right and always wrong because He's the only one who IS always right! The best way to find out what is right is to read His words in the Bible. The Ten Commandments are a good place to start (
Review the 10 Commandments from the image below.
If you are ever told to do something that goes against what God says in the 10 Commandments, you can be sure that it is wrong. The only question you need to decide is: What are you going to do about it?
- What will you do if an adult tells you to do something you know is wrong? (Ask him to talk to your parents about it, or tell him you need to talk to your parents first; walk away and find a "safe" adult. NOTE: Role-play this with your kids. Let them know that sometimes it's okay to talk to the adult about why he thinks it's wrong, and other times they need to let other adults handle it for them).
- How will you handle it if your friends ask you to do something you know is wrong, but you really want to do it anyway? (Again, role-play this with them. Peer pressure is the biggest reason kids do things they know are wrong.)
WHY DOES THIS MATTER:
Because God is Always Right, you can know for sure what's right and wrong as you read the Bible and pray. There's only One Person who decides.
Ask God to help you know what's right and what's wrong. Thank Him that His most important standard is love!