Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication
with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
To "be careful for nothing" means to not worry, not be anxious, or not be filled with care about anything.
- When is it easy for you to be tempted to worry?
- According to this verse, what should we do immediately when we are tempted to worry? (Pray)
- To pray means to boldly share with the Lord your experiences, gratitude, and requests knowing that He hears and will answer according to His Will.
Read the next verse,
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding,
shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
According to this verse, what are all the results of practicing prayer when you are tempted to worry?
- The presence of God's peace
- The provision of peace that is beyond your understanding
- The promise of God to guard your thoughts from more worrying
If you continue to worry about it, what does that tell you about your faith in God's promises? (Y
ou don't really believe Him.)
If you are worried about something, ask yourself: What attribute of God am I having trouble believing is true?
Our faith is often challenged when we do not know or understand what will happen next. It is in these times that it is more important than ever to trust God and do what is right.
Read about Abraham's faith in
- How does the last phrase describe the limitation of Abraham's knowledge? (He did not know where God was taking him.)
- Did that lack of knowledge stop Abraham from going? (No)
- Why? (Abraham's faith was not based on what he knew about the future, it was based on what he knew about God.)
Let's end our time today considering the kind of faith that is necessary when we come to God in prayer. Read
According to this verse, those that come to God in prayer, must have faith that:
- God exists and is true to His character
- God hears and answers prayers
- God honors our diligence (faithfulness)
WHY DOES THIS MATTER:
Because God is Faithful, I can trust He will do what He promises even when I don't see it right away.
Are you having trouble believing God for one of His promises because you aren't seeing it happen right now? Talk to Him about it and ask Him to help you to be faithful to trust in His faithfulness.