As part of our commitment to delivering a quality classical, liberal arts education, we periodically measure student growth and progress during the year by administering a benchmark test to students in grades 2 through 7. The benchmark test we use is known as MAP - Measures of Academic Progress - and assesses mastery in the academic areas of math and reading. With the start of school all online, this year we are asking you to partner with us to ensure that your child takes the MAP test remotely. The information we gather through MAP will allow us to tailor educational supports very early in the year to students who may need support and assess growth throughout the year for all students.
To summarize, the MAP test...
• is a formative assessment. It helps us understand our students and is not used for grading.
• is an assessment every 2nd-7th grade Great Hearts student takes at the beginning, middle and end of each year.
• has two sessions: reading comprehension and math.
• takes an average of 1-2 hours per session.
• helps teachers challenge the growth of students at all academic levels
• allows teachers and interventionists to see and meet gaps in their development in reading and math.
We will spend the next 2 weeks conducting MAP Reading and Math assessments. In the same way as scholars log in to a Zoom Homeroom meeting every morning, on their testing day they will log in to a Zoom meeting with their homeroom teachers at their specified testing time. Their homeroom teachers will take attendance and walk scholars through the process of taking the test.
• Students who will test on a computer will stay on the Zoom meeting throughout the session so that they can ask their teacher for technical assistance.
• Students who will test on an iPad will need an additional device for the zoom meeting. The app will allow them to test, but not allow them to stay on Zoom with their teacher. Students who take the test on the app may need your help to contact their teacher.
What can you do to ensure your scholar has a successful assessment?
• The date and time for your scholar’s testing session will be posted in Google Classroom.
• MAP log-in credentials will be sent separately.
•Make sure your student is prepared and signed at least 5 minutes ahead of time.
• Using the link and password provided, help your scholar navigate to the assessment and get started.
• Contact the classroom teacher if you have questions or need technical support.
• Please note-students may use pencil and paper on the Math test.
Click on this link to learn more about the NWEA Map Assessment.