Blood Orange Fudge Brownies with Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar Whipped Cream
By: Navidi's Olive Oils and Vinegars
1½ cups walnuts
9 oz bittersweet chocolate chips
2/3 cup blood orange olive oil
¾ cup almonds, ground in food processor
1 cup granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon finely grated orange zest
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ cup all purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-inch square pan and set aside.
2. Sift together the flour and baking soda. set aside.
3. Melt the chocolate slowly until smooth. Stir in the olive oil. Set aside to cool slightly.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, almonds, sugar and orange zest. Add the chocolate mixture stirring until smooth.
5. Fold in the flour mixture and then the walnuts.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes. When done, remove from oven and set pan on a wire rack to cool. Let stand for five minutes then unmold onto the cooling rack.
8. When cool cut into squares or, using cookies cutters, into hearts or other shapes.
9. Garnish with Chocolate Balsamic Whipped Cream and a chocolate Filigree Heart, if desired.
Note: If you are serving heart shaped brownies there will be scraps left over from the edges. These can be put to good use by layering them in a pretty stemmed glass with light and crunchy Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies and Chocolate Balsamic Whipped Cream (or plain whipped cream, if you prefer). Garnish with a chocolate Filigree Heart and you have another pretty and delicious dessert variation.
Chocolate Balsamic Whipped Cream
½ cup heavy whipping cream
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon chocolate balsamic vinegar
Combine ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Beat at medium to high speed until peaks form.