Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Find us on Pinterest

National Poison Prevention Week is  March 18-24, 2018  and the Texas Poison Center Network is again sponsoring the Poison Prevention Poster Contest.  The deadline for submissions is approaching quickly! While providing a valuable learning experience, the poster contest can also offer students the opportunity to educate the public about poison prevention and possibly win some exciting prizes! Each entry will compete for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prizes. The winning poster will advance from each region to our state contest to compete for the grand prize.   

To find out more, contact your local poison center educator by visiting
or by calling

Case 1:

Last week, a male in his early 20's called because he had been handling a copperhead snake which he kept as a pet. The snake tried to bite him but he managed to get away with just a scratch on his finger. He was sent to the emergency room by the poison specialist who received the call for an evaluation. He was released from the hospital after it was determined that there was no concern for envenomation.  
Case 2:

A poison specialist received a call from a woman who developed a rash all over her body after applying a homemade mixture of permethrin (an insectiside) and lotion.  The woman was diagnosed with scabies by her doctor but could not afford the cream that was prescribed to her. Instead, she took matters into her own hands and created a mixture of lotion and an insecticide that contains permethrin (usually used to treat scabies). The poison specialist advised the woman to take Benadryl and go to the hospitals due to some blisters she had developed. She was released from the emergency room shortly after and advised to purchase the medication that she was originally prescribed

Para español,  oprima aquí.
February 2018 Newsletter

Valentine's Day Tips

Valentine's Day is a fun time for families, but as children look for treats, it's easy to confuse some medicines with candies-turning a fun time into a risky situation. And, let's not forget our pets.  Many Valentine's Day gifts can include chocolates and flowers, some of which can be toxic to your pets. 

The Texas Poison Center Network would like to wish you a H appy and safe Valentines Day by offering you the following tips.
Tips for children:

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Candy can look just like medicine too! 
  • Buy products in child-resistant packaging whenever possible. But remember, child-resistant is not childproof.  They are designed to keep children out of the product for a short period of time, giving a parent is able to step in. 
  • Use child-resistant packaging properly by closing the container tightly after each use.
  • Never call medicine "candy" to get a child to take it.
  • Never leave medicine out on a kitchen counter or at a sick child's bedside 
  • Monitor the use of medicines prescribed for children and teenagers, such as medicines for attention deficit disorder, or ADD.
  •  Keep medicines in their original containers whenever possible. If you transfer medicines to another container, such as a pill minder or organizer, store them in a place that is out of reach & sight of a child. Since these containers are often not child-resistant, ensure the storage location has a safety latch when possible. 
  • Ask babysitters, visitors, and houseguests to keep purses, briefcases or bags that contain medicines up high, away and out of sight from your children. The same rule applies when your children are visiting a friend or relative's home.
Tips for pets:
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
If I've got a pet, what do I do?
  • Keep those Valentine's Day chocolate treats away from dogs!Chocolate ingestion by dogs can result in agitation, vomiting, diarrhea, tachycardia, tremors, and seizures, depending on the amount ingested.
  • We all know chocolate can be toxic for dogs, but there are other human foods which can also be harmful for our canine companions. Macadamia nuts, coffee beans, grapes, and raisins are particularly dangerous for dogs with the latter two causing possible  kidney failure. 
  • Cat owners should check all flower bouquets closely for lilies (i.e. lilium) as they are very toxic to cats. 
  • Also be careful with ribbons and bows on flowers and balloons, as they can cause dangerous intestinal problems when ingested by pets. 
  • Xylitol is an ingredient found in sugar-free candies, chocolates, and baked goods can be toxic for dogs, resulting in rapid onset hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and potential, liver failure.
  • To find out more information,  click here for a free pet brochure

If you think someone  has been poisoned, call 
1-800-222-1222 to reach your local poi son center.You can call the national toll-free number from anywhere in the U.S., 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Want more poison information???
Don't forget to check out the Texas Poison Center Network's blog !