Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Find us on Pinterest

Poster & Video Contest

National Poison Prevention Week is March 17-23, 2019 and the Texas Poison Center Network is again sponsoring the Poison Prevention Poster & Video Contest.  The deadline for submissions is approaching quickly!

 While providing a valuable learning experience, the video & poster contest can also offer students the opportunity to educate the public about poison prevention as well as win exciting prizes!

Prizes and deadlines vary depending on your region.  Click here to locate your local poison educator for more information. 

Case #1
A Poison Specialist received a call from a grandmother after her 4 year old grandson found a box of chocolate flavored laxatives on her bathroom counter. The grandmother thought her grandson might have eaten around 6 pieces although the package was missing 8 pieces. She stated 2 pieces had been previously eaten. The poison center specialist informed the caller that the child would likely have diarrhea and stomach cramps, as well as possibly nausea and vomiting.  The specialist also recommended for her to keep the child hydrated and apply diaper rash cream as needed.
Case #2
A call was received from an 87 year old woman who accidentally used a prescription anti-inflammation cream instead of toothpaste to brush her teeth. She stated that she did not have her glasses on and simply picked up the wrong tube from the bathroom drawer. After she realized it didn't taste the same as usual, she spit it out. The poison center specialist recommended that she rinse her mouth with water thoroughly then brush her teeth with her usual toothpaste. She was instructed to call back if any symptoms presented.

Para español,   oprima aquí.
February 2019 Newsletter

Valentine's Day 
Pet Safety Tips

Valentine's Day is the holiday of romance and many of you may be receiving or sending beautiful flowers and or course...candy. Unfortunately, some of these well-intentioned gifts can be toxic for pets. In some ways, pets are like children. Since they can't protect themselves from poisons, we need to store poisons where pets - and children - cannot reach them. The Texas Poison Center Network would like to offer the following tips to keep our four-legged friends safe this holiday. 

  • Most people know chocolate is dangerous for dogs. For most people, the only danger of overindulgence of chocolate is an expanding waistline. But for dogs, eating chocolate can cause seizures and even death. 
  • All forms of chocolate - milk, dark, semi-sweet, baking, and cocoa - contain theobromine, a substance similar to caffeine that is toxic for dogs. The darker the chocolate, the more theobromine it contains. 
  • Chocolate can cause nausea, vomiting, tremors, and seizures in dogs and other animals. Effects can begin shortly after eating it. Treatment should begin quickly.
  • Remember, it's the dose that makes the poison! There are no specific antidotes for theobromine poisoning in animals. Depending on how long it takes between ingestion and treatment, veterinarians may attempt to empty the stomach and give activated charcoal to absorb the theobromine. 
  • Xylitol is a natural sugar substitute,"a natural sugar substitute that, because of its anti-cavity properties for human teeth, is commonly found in "sugar-free" gum, mints, toothpastes, mouthwashes, and diet foods. And it's now even being added to certain brands of peanut butter. 
  • Dogs ingesting significant amounts of gum or candies solely or largely sweetened with xylitol may develop a sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures and even liver failure. Symptoms can appear very quickly.
  • Their small size makes most pets unable to handle much beer, wine or liquor.  Don't give these beverages to pets or allow them to lick up spilled drinks!
  • A little bit of alcohol can do a lot of harm, causing vomiting, diarrhea, lack of coordination, central nervous system depression, tremors, difficulty breathing, metabolic disturbances and even coma. Potentially fatal respiratory failure can occur if a large amount is ingested.
  • Many common indoor and outdoor plants can be harmful to your pet. Some of the more popular varieties that may be found around Valentine's Day are: Baby's Breath, Chrysanthemums, Daffodils, various Lilies, Ferns, Hyacinth, Hydrangea, Impatiens, Lily-of-the-Valley, Rubber plant, and Tulips. Know the names of your plants and keep poisonous plants away from your pet's living areas. 
  • Lilies are frequently sold in fresh bouquets and make a beautiful alternative to Valentine's Day roses. They can be deadly however to cats, especially since they seem to be drawn to nibble on houseplants.

Other foods: 
  • Onions and garlic and their seasoning salts can also cause problems for some pets.  They can cause anemia and other health conditions
  • Macademia nuts can cause decreased ability to move muscles, weakness, tremors, fever & vomiting for dogs. 
  • Grapes, raisins, & prunes can cause kidney failure in dogs. 
  • Avocado can cause vomiting and cardiac failure for dogs, birds & rodents
For more information, order a  FREE*  pet brochure by  

* Pet brochure may not be available to order at all locations 


Texas Poison Center Network Disclaimer on Animal Calls

Most items which are poisonous to humans can also harm pets but there are also substances that are not harmful to humans that can be dangerous to some pets. Since there is such a wide difference in reactions among different animal species, it may not always be safe to assume that something harmless to humans will be harmless to a pet.
If you have questions about something your pet may have swallowed, call Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222. Local specialists may be able to help and are available , 24 hours a day.
    In the event that your local poison center is unable to provide you with a treatment plan for your pet, you should contact the Animal Poison Control Hotline at 1-888-426-4435. A consultation fee may apply. You can also visit their website at

Want more poison information???
Don't forget to check out the Texas Poison Center Network's blog !