On February 11th
Regional Math Specialists
, joined NYSED Office of Curriculum employees Connie Nephew, Andrea Faoro, Susan Brockley, and math educators from every district in our region, for an exclusive look at the NYSED PK-8 Math Glossary that will be coming out within the next year. During this session, participants had the opportunity to give feedback on mathematical terms that they thought should be edited, added, or removed before the document is officially released to the State.
Educators were split up into the following work groups:
- Basic Operations, Math Sentences, Math Properties
- Units of Measure, Numbers and Numeration
- Basic Words
- Graphing, Decimals, Percents, Number Sets
- Ratio and Proportion, Statistics & Probability
- Real Life Applications, Algebra, Functions
- Logical Relationships, Transformations, Geometry
- Spatial Geometry
Each work group took notes and submitted their feedback to NYSED for consideration. This document will have one more round of feedback this winter before it is finalized and brought to NYSED’s Office of Assessment. Once The Office of Assessment approves it, this document will be released to the public* as a supplemental resource for educators to use in conjunction with the Next Generation Math Standards.
*Anticipated release date: June 2020