In every corner of Delaware, people of goodwill are stepping forward to say, ‘enough’ to the inequities in education, healthcare, housing, economic opportunity, access to nutritious food, and yes, law enforcement that have held our state back for generations. For decades, United Way of Delaware has been fighting for those who are marginalized by systemic racism and we are still fighting.
Earlier this week, we announced the establishment of the Delaware Racial Equity & Social Justice Fund as part of an integrated, statewide effort with other nonprofits, grassroots organizations and the community-at-large to develop and advocate for strategies and policies that address systemic racism in Delaware. I am proud to be working collaboratively with so many great colleagues to further advance the cause of racial equity and I’m proud to establish a fund that will support this vital work.
The Fund will be supported through individual, foundation, government and corporate contributions and donors will be asked to commit time, knowledge, and skills, as well financial resources. The investment decisions for the Fund will be made by a collaborative community-based steering committee.
The Fund will work with community stakeholders to:
- Address root causes of racial and social inequities
- Foster courageous conversations and actions regarding racial equity and social justice
- Increase engagement and influence of grassroots groups and others mobilizing for action
- Mobilize disenfranchised communities to create awareness and action
- Actively engage youth and young adults
- Develop collective messages based on dialogue with grassroots groups
- Promote healthy connections among diverse community groups
- Map racial equity and social justice initiatives in Delaware
- Ensure the Collaborative operates statewide, inclusive of local engagement
- Develop procedures for joint accountability, transparency, and communication among investment partners
For all interested in being part of the work of the Delaware Racial Equity and Social Justice Collaborative and/or supporting the Fund please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.