I believed I hated sweet potatoes until one amazing holiday dinner about 20 years ago. My sister-in-law grew up in Oklahoma and shared this recipe with our family. Trust me, you won’t go wrong skipping the super-sweet, marshmallow-topped casserole and replacing it with this simple recipe.
Sweet Potato Gratin
6 medium sweet potatoes (about 3.5 pounds), peeled and ends trimmed
2 cups whipping cream
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Slice potatoes ¼” thick.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish. Place a layer of potatoes in dish. Sprinkle with part of the salt, pepper and jalapeno. Repeat layers until all are used.
- Pour cream evenly over top.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes. Check, and if top seems dry, baste lightly with cream from around edges.
- Continue baking for another 15-20 minutes until cream around sides is very thick and top is golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares to serve.