2012 Fiesta Metric Century
SPECIAL RIDER UPDATE
To All Fiesta Metric Riders:
Yesterday, Monday, June 4th, 2012, dangerous developments in the Construction Zone on Harbor Drive (miles 2 to 5) necessitated that we change the Bike Route to bypass the entire Construction Zone. The entire Harbor Drive Construction Zone is closed to riders. Under no circumstances should any participant attempt to ride through it.
A parallel Bike Detour has been added, which will service both the outbound and return segments of the ride. The distance of the Bike Detour is about 2.1 miles. In total, the Bike Detour adds about 7/10ths of a mile to the ride.
The Bike Detour introduces 8 new turns and includes 1.4 miles on Main St, which also has on-going construction. The Bike Detour must be ridden on HIGH ALERT! Especially on 32nd St, when merging into the left lanes to make left turns. Police Traffic Controllers have been assigned to assist, but each rider needs to exercise EXTREME CAUTION on these turns.
Please discard all previously published 2012 Fiesta Maps & Cue Sheets. The original Maps & Cue Sheets have already been sealed into rider envelopes, along with Helmet #'s, Route Wristbands, and the Final Rider Instructions. Please discard the original Maps & Cue Sheets (pages 3 & 4). Please carefully review the updated Fiesta Map & Cue Sheet below. Additional updated Fiesta Maps & Cue Sheets will be at packet pick-up on Fri & Sat and will be printed on yellow paper.
Updated 2012 Fiesta Metric Course Strip Map (with Detour) Updated 2012 Fiesta Metric Cue Sheet (with Detour)
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but the Bike Detour is a much safer overall option for all riders and volunteers.
Displayed below is the Final Rider Instructions email originally sent Jun 1, '12. Except for the Bike Detour, other aspects of the Fiesta Metric remain unchanged. Read it carefully before starting the ride. Understand and comply with all course cut-off times. The global & mandatory course turn around time is Noon. At that time, all riders must be returning to the Finish. The course (and all support) officially closes at 2:00 P.M.
Thank You for your patience and understanding. Should any further issues arise between now and the ride, we will email and post updates on the website.
******************************************* ORIGINAL FINAL RIDER INSTRUCTION EMAIL
************ END OF SPECIAL RIDER UPDATE ***********
Thanks for joining the 4th Annual Fiesta Metric Century, on Sat, Jun 9th, 2012 in San Diego, CA. The ride is just 8 days away! This email contains important links to your Final Rider Instructions and other important pre-ride details.
There are 408 pre-registered riders, click here for the Rider List. Thanks for telling your cycling friends about the Fiesta Metric. There's still room for 92 more riders! See special Last Chance Friends & Family coupon below for 15% discount.
1. General: Below are highlights of key information for the ride. All the details are also available on the the Shadow Tour website (www.shadowtour.com).
Click here to go directly to the Fiesta Metric Century webpage.
2. Final Rider Instructions and Course Map: For your safety and understanding of important details of the ride, all cyclists must read/review the following items before starting the ride: a. Final Rider Instructions, download here
b. San Diego County Liability Waiver, download here (bring to packet pick-up)
c. Course Cue Sheet/turn-by-turn (UPDATED with DETOUR), download here
d. Course Strip Map (UPDATED with DETOUR), download here
3. Packet Pick-up/Registration:
Fri, Jun 8th, Noon - 8:00 P.M. Hampton Inn San Diego-Downtown (Host Hotel), 1531 Pacific Hwy , San Diego, CA 92101. The Hampton Inn is directly across the street from the Start/Finish area. Friends may pick up packets for other riders with a signed note or printed email authorizing release of the packets. Riders may register on Friday with Credit Card or Cash (ATM onsite) only. Free 30-min parking inside the Hampton Inn underground parking facility. For information on Special Hampton Inn Rider Rates, click here.
Sat, Jun 9, 6:00 - 7:30 A.M. South lot of San Diego County Offices Bldg, 1600 Pacific Hwy, San Diego, 92101 (directions). All day Free parking until contracted section of lot is full. When full, discounted all-day rate of $6 applies. Parking controlled by Ace Parking. Riders may register on Saturday, cash only (ATMs across the street in the Hampton Inn, or at the Holiday Inn, next to Gift Shop).
4. Event Master Timetable: Sat, Jun 9, '12
5:45 A.M. Parking lot opens for riders, south lot of SD Cty Bldg
6:00 - 7:30 A.M. Registration/Packet Pick-up
6:30 - 7:30 A.M. Wave starts of 25 riders at 3-minute intervals
10:30 A.M.-1:30 P.M. Post-ride Mexican Buffet hosted by El Indio open
7:00 A.M. -1:00 P.M. Rest Stop #1/#4, at Bonita Plaza/Bikepath open
8:00 - 10:30 A.M. Rest Stop #2, at Lower Otay Lakes open
8:30 - 11:30 A.M. Rest Stop #3, at Thousand Trails open
Noon Mandatory turnaround; all riders must be returning
2:00 P.M: Course/Event officially closes.
5. Red Zones: RED ZONES
are potentially hazardous areas and require EXTRA CAUTION
, reduce speed to max of 20 MPH, stay as far to the right as safely possible, and always ride single file.
Red Zones for outbound & return sections of the routes:Harbor Dr (Updated): Use extra caution inside Bike Detour on outbound and return, especially when merging left on 32nd St.Bikepath:
Watch for riders/walkers. Ride single file, extra caution at entrances.San Miguel/Proctor Valley Rd:
Narrow roads, stay as far to right as possible. On return section of San Miguel Rd, watch for uneven curb cement on the descent.Otay Lakes Rd:
Higher vehicle traffic at faster speeds. Use Extreme caution
, stay to right, ride single file. Don't stop on Otay Lakes Rd until Rest Stop #3. 6. Weather:
Current forecasts from AccuWeather
call for "Bright Sunshine" with a Hi of 75F, Lo of 59F, and light 6 mph winds from the west in Downtown San Diego. Please arrive with full water bottles
, as it will be warmer inland. Water & Vitalyte
(Citris & Grape flavors) will be available at all rest stops, so stay well-hydrated. Limited supplies of ice will be on-hand to chill Vitalyte. Water is in individual 1-gal jugs. For sanitary reasons, do not handle ice at rest stops. Staff & Vol's will add more ice if temps climb into the 90's F (not expected).
7. Bike Inspection: All riders must individually insure their bicycle is mechanically sound and equipped with working brakes and fully serviceable wheels and tires. WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND every rider take their bicycle in for a professional tune-up and safety inspection prior to the ride. Replace any questionable components, especially tires. Matt, owner of Traction Bicycles, will be providing mechanic support on the course. He also offers mobile services and can service bicycles at your home or office. Traction Bicycles and Holland Cycles will be at the Start/Finish early on Sat morning before they begin patrolling the course. Please pay the mechanics directly for parts they provide. All riders need to carry (at the minimum) a spare tube, tire levers, and have a mini pump or air cartridges with valve adapter.
8. Full Metric Century Finishers: Riders registered for the "Full Course," who complete the 62-mile route, need to check in with the Volunteers at the Finish to show validation stamp from the Rest Stop #3 turnaround point. Your Name and City will be added to the Official Full Metric Century Finishers list. The final list will be displayed on the Shadow Tour website. Short course riders are not eligible to receive credit for riding the full course.
9. SCS Photoworks: Scott & photographers from SCS Photoworks will be on the course and at the Finish snapping your pictures, so be sure to say cheese and style for the cameras! Please affix your Helmet # to the FRONT OF YOUR HELMET.
10. Help Spread the Word: There is no better way to grow the Fiesta Metric Century than for registered riders to encourage friends to sign up. Thanks for spreading the word via email and Facebook!
11. Post-ride Meal All paid riders receive an included post-ride Mexican Buffet in the Finish area (limited to one pass through the buffet line). The meal is catered by El Indio Restaurant. The buffet runs 10:30 A.M. - 1:30 P.M. Cost for extra meals is $15 in advance/$18 on Sat. Manny Cepeda's 3-man Salsa band will be providing live Salsa music in the Finish area post-ride. Dancing is encouraged!
12. Official Event Charity: For 2012, we're Honored to Welcome the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund (SFF) as the Official Fiesta Metric Charity. The SFF provides our Brave Marines with financial relief during hospitalization and recovery. The 4-Star rated Non-Profit also assists with Family Support, Adaptive Transportation, and Therapeutic Arts. Please visit the Donation Link and show your support with whatever level of contribution you can afford. There's also an easy way to reach out to Friends & Family to form your own campaign. SFF Team Members will be riding at Fiesta. When you see them, you'll understand part of their incredible sacrifice. A loud "Semper Fi !" is always in order...so is stopping by the SFF Booth to learn more & make donations. So far, Fiesta riders have raised $75 (many tks Diane Koeth & Elizabeth Owsley). At Stagecoach, in Jan, rider donations topped $4,000. Let's rally at Fiesta and make Donations online and by filling the SFF Glass Bowl on Sat at the SFF Expo Booth post-ride!
13. Sponsors: We wish to acknowledge the outstanding support of our wonderful Sponsors & Exhibitors . We extend our deep gratitude to all Sponsors, Volunteers, and Expo Exhibitors who helped make this ride possible.
Design Maker Studio
San Diego Maritime Museum
A limited supply of extra 2012 Fiesta T-shirts and Jerseys will be available on Fri & Sat at the Registration Booth, 1st Come, 1st Served. Past Shadow Tour T-shirts, Jerseys, Medals, and Pins will also be on sale. Stop by to catch some great deals on past inventory items! Credit Card & Cash only.15. Volunteers:
We always need volunteers! Please contact Jim
if you know someone interested in helping. Many Thanks!
Thanks again to all Fiesta Metric riders. We appreciate your patronage. Thanks also for taking time to read this email and for reviewing the Final Rider Instructions & Maps in advance of the ride. We hope you have a safe, enjoyable ride, and leave with positive memories from the 2012 Fiesta Metric Century!
Jim & Larry
Shadow Tour, LLC
Shadow Tour / ST Promotions, LLC
IMPORTANT: Please do not send direct email replies to this email message. If you need to reach us, please click here for more contact options