We are so excited you’re joining us for Southern Arizona Roadrunner’s 24th Annual Fine Valentine Relay this Sunday benefiting Ben's Bells! The energy and love each of you bring creates an unforgettable atmosphere each year.
Some important notes:
(in case you don’t want to read this whole long email)
- Pick up your packet Saturday 11am-2pm at The Running Shop (3055 N Campbell) or Sunday 7am-8am outside of Gentle Ben’s (865 E University Blvd). This is you're best chance to exchange shirt sizes or purchase one if you didn't pre order one.
- Timing chips (shoe tags) must be picked up outside of Gentle Ben’s race morning from 7am-8am if doing the relay or 4 mile individual race. (Those doing the 2 Mile Fun Walk/Run do not need a chip.)
- Who wears a timing chip?
- The person running SECOND in a relay team
- 4 Mile individual races
- If you are doing the relay, make sure you know your relay team name for when you pick up your race number (not your group challenge name). Check out the list here!
- Wear your race number on the front!
- If you're running the relay, pick up your baton race morning outside of Gentle Ben's.
- Race starts at 8:30am Sunday in front of UA’s Centennial Hall (one block away from registration at Gentle Ben's)!
- Know someone running or volunteering that is the definition of kindness? Nominate them for the kind cupid award here!
- Goodie bags will include a coupon for a free pin from Annotated Audrey Art.with the "Run Your Heart" race shirt design on it. Visit her booth race morning with the coupon to claim it! You'll also find a coupon for a free Let's Sweat class, lip gloss from Vantage West to help you prep for PDA and great info from our other sponsors!
- Visit the Agility Spine & Sports Physical Therapy booth (they're bring an evaluation table incase you want them to check any nagging injuries out!), the He Said She Said Couple's Counseling Booth and the Ben's Bells Booth.
Important Course Notes:
- If you are the 1st leg of the relay or if you are running the 1st lap of the 4-mile individual race: After almost finishing the first lap of the course you will run past Old Main (on your right hand side). Keep turning clockwise around Old Main until you get to the Agility Spine & Sports PT PDA exchange zone! At the PDA exchange zone relay runners will pass the baton to their partner after doing some mandatory PDA (kiss, high-five, booty bump, something creative). 4-milers will start their 2nd lap after passing through the PDA zone! We’ll have volunteers and signage to guide you where to go!
- If you are the 2nd leg of the relay, if you are completing the 2nd lap of the 4-mile individual race or if you are doing the 2-mile fun walk/run: After finishing your lap of the course you will run past Old Main (on your right hand side). Keep running strait back to the start/finish line. Do not turn to pass through the PDA zone. We’ll have volunteers and signage to guide you where to go!
- Course change: This year we are running up the ramps on the west side of Arizona Stadium, instead of the east due to changes at the stadium. Signage, chalk volunteers and a lead bike will guide you!
And all the nitty-gritty details…
- Option 1: The Running Shop (3055 N Campbell) on Saturday 11:00am-2:00pm. Come here for your best chance to exchange shirt sizes, if needed! Pro tip: the line can be long at first but after the first hour it's usually a little calmer.
- Option 2: Race morning 7:00am-8:00am at Main Gate Square. Our amazing registration volunteers will be set-up outside of Gentle Ben's (865 E University Blvd, Tucson, AZ).
- Want to check your registration details? Visit here for relays and here for the 4-Mile Race & 2-Mile Fun Walk/Run.
- Know a friend that wants to sign up but did not pre-register? We still have space for about 75 more people so they can register in person.
Pre-paid shirts can be picked up at either packet pick-up option. If you did not order a shirt, limited extras may be available for purchase at packet pick-up for $15 while supplies last! We have a limited amount of shirts available for exchanging sizes if the size you ordered doesn't work.
Free parking is available race morning at the Tyndall or 2nd St garages and on nearby streets.
Restrooms are available inside Gentle Ben's before, during and after the race. This is a very short walk to the start/finish area. There will be two porta-potties by the start line/Centennial Hall. The UA Student Union (Northeast of old Main) also has bathrooms and is open starting at 8am.
All races (relay, 4 mile individual, 2 mile walk/jog) start at
in front of Centennial Hall. Everyone will line up at the start line EXCEPT if you are running the 2nd leg of the relay.
Only those running
SECOND in the relay
OR doing the
4 Mile INDIVUDAL RACE
should & must pick up a timing chip
race morning outside of Gentle Ben’s. This chip will be worn on your shoe. Make sure you also wear your number on the front and if you're doing the relay, pick up your baton race morning as well!.
All races (relay, 4 mile individual, 2 mile walk/jog) start at
in front of Centennial Hall. Speedsters line up at the front. If you are doing to the 2-mile walk/run please line up towards the back.
People running the second leg of the relay will not line up at the start line.
Second-Leggers will stand on the sidewalk when the race starts, cheer on their love and then walk over to the PDA exchange zone to await their partner’s kiss/high five/booty bump!
The Stadium Ramps
All races (relay, 4 mile individual, 2 mile walk/jog) will go up & down the stadium ramps. These are the ramps, not the stairs. The 4 mile individual racers will do two loops of the course, so they go up the ramps twice.
This year we are running up the ramps on the west side of the stadium instead of the east.
Check out the course map!
There will be chalk, signage and course monitors on the route. The course starts at Centennial Hall, swerves left/clockwise around Old Main, down the south side of the UofA mall, past McKale, up & down the football stadium west-side ramps, past the practice field, back to the mall & then clockwise around Old Main to get back to the exchange zone. 4 milers do two laps. If signed up for the Relay or 4-Mile Race, you will only cross the finish line after 4 consecutive miles are completed as a team or individual. If you are signed up for the 2-Mile Fun Walk/Ran, you head straight to the finish line after one loop and you will not pass through the exchange zone.
Free Kids Dash
: Will take place immediately after the main races by the start/finish area at approximately ~9:20/9:30. We'll make an announcement. It will be a short ~200 meter dash with goodie bags.
Post-race awards party
: Join us for our brunch & mimosa awards party at Gentle Ben's starting immediately after the race. Both the upstairs and downstairs will be open for eating and drinking as soon as you finish! Awards will be given out on the upstairs deck starting at
9:45-10:00. We hope to be wrapped up with everything before 10:30.
Use your "Brunch Ticket"
tear off tab on your bib
to get some tasty eggs and breakfast potatoes at the brunch buffet line starting around 9:00. There should be a veggie option and a bacon option of the potato dish in both buffet lines. There will be one buffet line set up downstairs and one set up upstairs. Sorry - no second rounds. Have a family member or friend that didn't run but wants breakfast? They can buy a ticket at the SAR booth for $5.
Free coffee from Coffee Times can be found on the sidewalk next to Gentle Ben's (by the fire lane) after the race!
Mimosas and Bloody Marys will be available to purchase at the downstairs and upstairs bars. SAR MEMBER BONUS: First mimosa or bloody mary is free for all SAR members with a SAR member drink ticket (ticket should be paper clipped to your bib). Not a member? Visit the SAR info booth to join on race morning! Don't see a drink ticket in your packet, but think you're a member? Visit the SAR booth and they can check things out!
Costume Contest & PDA Contest:
We have great prizes for the cleverest costumes & PDA! Winners to be announced at the awards ceremony!
Overall winners of the individual race will win gift cards from The Running Shop. Plus we'll have awards for the top three runners in ten year age groups. Top three in each relay category will win date night gift card prizes thanks to our amazing local Tucson restaurants and businesses! One lucky relay team will also win a golden rose from
Ben’s Bells & The Kind Love Notes:
Say Happy Valentine’s Day to our amazing beneficiaries, Ben’s Bells Project! Also look for the Kind Love Notes banner and feel free to add your own note!
Say cheese at our photo booth! You’ll find all race day pictures for Selena Valencia on the SAR facebook page shortly after the race!
Group Challenge to Win the Keg:
Group members must have registered before race day & notated their group/organization with registration. All group members must be 21+ to be tallied in the count towards winning the keg. Winning group will be announced at the awards ceremony!
Questions? Respond to this email!
We can't wait to share the love with you all!
Dari, Diane and Alyssa at Southern Arizona Roadrunners