November 2018 is Business Month!
SLHTA TEF Linkages Officer Donette Ismael met with Jonathan Allain, Representative of Department of Commerce, International Trade, Investment, Enterprise Development & Consumer Affairs to discuss Business Month 2018 being held under the theme
“Sustainable Enterprises – People, Planet and Profit.” The need to address issues such as the increasing depletion of natural resources, coupled with climate change and economic inequality continues to be of priority to Governments, as they seek policy prescriptions to address these global challenges. The call for continued involvement of all stakeholders particularly the business community in curtailing these environmental and social issues is therefore critical. As such, Business Sustainability has now become the new catch phrase in today’s corporate environment. The need to preserve the environment while still being profitable is an important consideration that many enterprises face.
Apart from saving the planet, sustainable practices have a number of benefits for an enterprise. These include:
- Saving Money: Employing eco-friendly technologies and cutting down on waste in energy, resources and employee time generates significant annual savings.
- Boosting Customer Retention and Attracting Investment: Lean, efficient businesses with a reputation for earth-friendly profits now attract a lot of attention from savvy investors, new customers and the media.
- Creating Green-Collar Jobs: Thanks to an increasing focus on sustainability, a lot of new titles have been introduced into our lexicon, including passive solar building designer, wind energy engineer and energy-efficient construction worker. Some believe that renewable energy development could create millions of new jobs.
- Attracting and Retaining Employees: Businesses with fair and ethical practices attract highly qualified employees. Happier workers also tend to perform better, circumventing the expensive process of firing and rehiring.
The activities of Business Month 2018 will seek to highlight:
- What is sustainability and a sustainable enterprise?
- Why is sustainability important to an enterprise?
- What are the benefits of becoming a sustainable enterprise?
- How can sustainable practices be incorporated into an enterprise’s daily business practices?
- Highlight local enterprises who have successfully adopted sustainability practices