L/R Drew Powers, Redwood Region and Mark Hansen, Sacramento Valley Region
Golden Gate Region held its first regional event at the Cow Palace on June 28th with several restrictions in place including a cap on the number of attendees imposed by the county of San Mateo and the management of the Cow Palace. AX chair Himanshu Patel reported that that the event hit its capacity of 50 drivers within 2 minutes of the opening of registration. With restrictions in place, this has made drivers participating in the Zone 7 Series complicated as current Zone 7 rules requires participants not only participate in 50% of the events but include at least 3 regions in their participation. Zone 7 autocross chair Grady Carter is reviewing this issue and should have a decision shortly after polling region AX chairs.
Zone Concours Series Event Changes
Several regions have cancelled their annual concours events due to Corona Virus restrictions and have rescheduled them to October in hopes that the Corona Virus pandemic may have subsided as well as county health department restrictions. Regions that have rescheduled their concours events include Golden Gate and Loma Prieta regions. Sierra Nevada Region has decided to cancel their event and look forward to 2021 to host their much-anticipated Zone event. Watch for the updated calendar on the Zone 7 website as well as your region’s local calendar. Also see the Events of Interest calendar at the end of this column.
National News and Event Updates
PCA national recently held its annual board of directors meeting. The national board of directors includes are 145 region presidents as well as the elected executive council. The board recently approved modifications to 1) national policy update regarding the club’s whistle blower procedures, and 2) national policy update on the club’s competition policy. Both measures were over whelming approved by the board of directors. PCA president Tom Gorsuch also provided some updates on the success of the spring raffle, programs offered by Motorsportreg and Clubsport.reg facilitating the signing of the new communicable disease waiver, and club membership news.
PCA treasurer, Craig Kugler, reported on the club’s finances after our annual audit and all looks good and that the club is still on sound financial footing. He reported that club expenses were reduced by about 25% to offset anticipated revenue losses. Cuts in travel expenses for the EC as well as all national staff was part of the cost reductions. The audit did reveal that there were several revenue and expenses that were recognized in 2019 that should not have.
Tom Gorsuch also provided an update on Treffen Greenbriar in West Virginia and reported that registration will open on July 15th. Registration is expected to reach capacity and sell out within hours of the opening. If you have any interest in attending, mark your calendars and be ready to register once registration opens.
National awards usually awarded at Parade are in the works and that Ron Gordon, Parade chair and national executive director, Vu Nguyen, are currently working on a virtual awards presentation. More details to come for those members who have submitted for awards in the various categories.
Events of Interest
1) Zone 7 Concours, July 19, Carmel Valley Community Park, by Monterey Bay Region has been rescheduled to October 25th
2) Zone 7 Concours, August 2, Reno, by Sierra Nevada Region; CANCELLED
3) Werks Reunion in Monterey; August 14, CANCELLED
4) Porscheplatz at Monterey Historic Races, August 15-16, Laguna Seca; CANCELLED
5) West Coast Series Races, August 22-23, Sonoma Raceway, by Golden Gate Region
6) Zone 7 Concours, August 23, Porsche Redwood City, by Golden Gate Region; rescheduled to October 18th
7) Loma Prieta Region 50th Anniversary Gala; August 29; rescheduled to March 2021
8) Zone 7 AX, August 29, Cow Palace, Daly City, by Golden Gate Region
9) Zone 7 AX, August 30, Cow Palace, Daly City, by Loma Prieta Region
10) Zone 7 Concours, September 13, Sacramento, by Sacramento Valley Region
11) PCA Fall Treffen at the Greenbrier Resort in West Virginia; September 16-19; treffen.pca.org. SOLD OUT
12) Zone 7 Concours, September 20, Ledson Winery - Kenwood, by Redwood Region; CANCELLED
13) West Coast Series Races, September 19-20, High Plains Raceway, by Rocky Mountain Region
14) West Coast Series Races, September 26-27, Thunderhill, by Golden Gate Region
15) Zone 7 Concours, October 4; Carmel Valley, by Monterey Bay Region
16) West Coast Series Races, October 10-11, Sonoma Raceway, by Golden Gate Region
17) Zone 7 AX, October 10-11, Thunderhill, by Sacramento Valley and Redwood Regions
18) Zone 7 Concours, October 11, Porsche of Fremont, by Loma Prieta Region
19) Zone 7 Concours, October 18, Porsche Redwood City, by Golden Gate Region
20) Zone 7 AX, October 24, Cow Palace, Daly City, by Golden Gate Region
21) Zone 7 AX, October 25, Cow Palace, Daly City, by Loma Prieta Region
22) Loma Prieta Region 50th Anniversary Gala, March 2021
23) PCA Spring Treffen at the Marriott Scottsdale, Arizona; May 5-9, 2021; treffen.pca.org
24) Porsche Parade at French Lick, Indiana, July 11-17, 2021
25) PCA Fall Treffen at the American Club, Kohler, Wisconsin, October 13-17, 2021
26) PCA Spring Treffen at The Broadmoor, Colorado Springs, Colorado, April 27-May 1, 2022
Note that past Treffens have sold out in as little as one hour due to their growing popularity.
All photos courtesy of Collin Fat