2021 Fire Congress Goes All Virtual!
Like many of you, we were really looking forward to being together in Sandestin for the 9th International Fire Ecology and Management Congress. However, with the status of the pandemic and travel restrictions, we have decided this is no longer possible and we are in the process of shifting from a hybrid event to a fully virtual event. This decision reflects feedback from the respondents to our recent survey (thank you!) and discussions by the AFE Board, the Fire Congress Program Committee, and our co-host Tall Timbers.
While we know there is “zoom” fatigue out there, we also recognize the pressing need to share and discuss the latest in fire ecology, especially considering the current and recent fire seasons. Our goal is to create an interactive and productive event, and we believe the virtual format will allow for more accessibility and participation than ever before!
Our program will contain:
- Live and on-demand presentations with Q&A
- Poster session with short videos, a student poster contest, and live presenter interaction
- Fire Circle discussions around important wildland fire topics
- Exhibit hall with several options for interaction, including video meetings
- Organized networking sessions, as well as informal opportunities to connect via chat and video meetings at anytime
- Virtual workshops and virtual field tours with live Q&A
- Access to virtual platform and all content/presentations for at least 6 months
We will be reaching out to everyone who has submitted a proposal and registered to discuss options for changing from in-person to virtual participation. Your patience is appreciated while we make these changes.
The remaining submission deadlines for Call for Presentations are coming up very soon! Please get your proposals in, and check the website for virtual presentation options.