Mission Update
May 21, 2020

hands_hearts_hdr.jpg
How is First Presbyterian helping the community?
We see and hear about so many people struggling right now. The state of our current world has impacted many people who were already facing enormous challenges. Even though our church can not meet in-person yet, we can still be the hands and feet of Christ in a hurting world. The Mission Team would like to share how your collective giving to our church has helped others in our community. I encourage you to visit these organization's website for more information. A special thank you to our Mission and Outreach Team for their faithful leadership in helping our community.
Ways that our church is giving from our budget
Habitat for Humanity - $1000                                    
Habitat for Humanity works to provide affordable housing for those who are breaking cycles of poverty. They have been particularly instrumental in the Walnut Neighborhood. Habitat has seen reduced funding since their ReStore store is temporarily closed, reduced corporate giving, and several events couldn’t be held.
NE Iowa Food Bank - $1000
The Food Bank is a lifeline to many people who are struggling with food insecurity. They are not taking food donations from the general public at this time. They are also receiving reduced donations from grocers. So, the food bank will have to rely more on purchasing food.
sunshine_love.jpg
NAMI – Black Hawk County - $300
Resources for mental health is an acute need during this time when people are experiencing grief, anxiety, and depression. NAMI provides advocacy, education, support and public awareness so that all individuals and families affected by mental illness can build better lives. They have had to cancel all of their classes until the Fall. But they have maintained their support groups and individual counseling through video conferencing, conference calls, and counseling by phone.
Foster Care Graduation - $300
Foster care kids receive their independence at age 18. Donations were being solicited to help these kids get a start on their own.
Peoples Community Health Clinic - $500
Peoples Clinic is on the front lines helping to provide affordable health care during this difficult time. Donations help provide services that are needed in profound ways right now.
Doctors Without Borders - $500
These doctors offer lifesaving humanitarian care around the world and speak out about what they see.
Salvation Army - $500
Salvation Army continues to provide food and other services to those who are most vulnerable.
PCUSA Pentecost Offering
Every year on Pentecost, Presbyterian around the country give a special offering to support the next generation. A gift to the Pentecost Offering helps to encourage, develop, and support young people, and also address the needs of at-risk children. 40% of the Pentecost offering retained by our congregation to make an impact in the lives of young people within our own community. The remaining 60% is used to support children-at-risk, youth, and young adults through ministries of the Presbyterian Mission Agency.

We hope you give generously on Pentecost, May 31. You may give online and designate your gift. You may also send a check to the church office with "Pentecost Offering" on the memo line.
Thank you for participating in the Food Drive!
graphic-community-meal.jpg
Thank you for participating in our food drive for Blackhawk-Grundy Mental Health. The Cedar Valley Presbyterian Churches have been working together to collect the following items:  small packages of peanut butter, cans of soup, small boxes of cereal, ramen noodles, and small boxes of crackers. Donations have been given to the health center and people have expressed enormous gratitude for your generosity!

It's not too late to give. Boxes to collect the items will be located at Westminster Presbyterian M-F 9-1, and Cedar Heights M-Th. Those churches will arrange to drop off the food items. The drive will last through Pentecost, May 31.  Thank you again!
Online Giving Now Available
Thank you to all those who are continuing to faithfully give their pledges and offerings to the church. In an attempt to make giving easier during this time, we have initiated online giving to our church through the Presbyterian Foundation. Click on the button below to set up on account for continual giving. You may also give a one time gift. You may also continue to mail checks to the church. Please call Kelley if you have questions.

We are still engaging in meaningful ministry and your offerings make that ministry possible. Thank you for your generosity and please continue to give as you can.

First Presbyterian Church | Waterloo, IA | 319-233-6145 | www.1stpresby.org