Put A Spring In Your
Step: Get Walking!
Walking is an excellent form of exercise for people of all ages and abilities. Not only does it get the heart pumping and the calories burning, it’s a great way to clear your mind, relieve stress and anxiety, and improve your overall emotional health.
Now that spring is here and the temperatures are getting warmer, commit to walking three to four days per week. Track your progress and then reward yourself once you’ve accomplished your goal.
Get a walking workout with these tips
· Prepare for a walk by warming up, wearing the correct clothing and shoes, and making sure that you are well hydrated. Warm down after a walk.
· If you want to jump start the pace of your walk, take short, quick strides to increase your intensity.
· Bend your arms at 90 degrees and swing them naturally front to back as you walk. You can add power and speed by using your arms effectively.
· Walk with shoulders back, but relaxed. Good posture for walking allows you to breathe well. Your chin should be parallel to the ground, and your eyes should focus on the street or track 10 to 20 feet ahead. Your back should have a natural curve. If you feel strain in your lower back, you’re probably leaning forward, or not at a relaxed position.
· Incorporate a total body approach to pump up your walk by using small hand weights. This will work those arm muscles and burn more calories, too.
· Contact your doctor before embarking on any new fitness program, particularly if you are obese, haven’t exercised in a long time or suffer from a chronic medical condition.
No matter the goal you set, we encourage you to stay physically active by getting outside and taking a walk on a regular basis.