What you need:
a watch, clock, or timer; a quiet creative activity; a candle (if it's okay, or an intentional object like a cross); a Bible, if you'd like; paper; something to write with; a snack.
Have your class with a sibling or other family members, or enjoy this time by yourself.
1) Begin with a transition time – Peace & Quiet: enjoy a creative activity for about 10 minutes (journaling, clay, Legos, drawing, etc. Not a focus on a finished product; just enjoyment.)
2) Next, clear the space, or move to another space, and light a candle (or place your intentional object). Settle in, and say a prayer, like:
Your word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.
- Psalm 119:105. Offer your own prayers, silently, or out loud.
3) Here are the appointed readings for May 17. Find them in your Bible. Read them out loud.
Our focus for this class:
Jesus said, ”If you love me, you will keep my commandments.
And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, to be with you forever.
This is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, because he abides with you, and he will be in you.
4) Think about what you read, chat about it if you have company, look it up online (if allowed) and see if there's commentary about it – do you agree? Do you feel called to
Jesus said, if you love me -
What is love? What is NOT love? Why should you love Jesus? Does Jesus love you? (yes) What if you didn't love Jesus? What. . . if you DID?
You will keep my commandents -
What do you think Jesus had in mind? Check these out:
and think, too - for whom in your life do you do what they tell you to? BC why? Or why not? Are people infallible? What about Jesus?
I will ask the Father -
How come Jesus is an intermediary here (an advocate!)? Also, sidenote, do you have a person in your life that you can trust and believe in, a father or another? What can God do, and be, that humans simply cannot?
He will give you another Advocate, to be with you forever.
If the disciples (and us) can't have a physical Jesus walking and talking with us, and acting as our advocate (what does that mean?), who or what would be a good substitute? Bonus: with us
This is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him.
Yay, it's the Holy Spirit! The Spirit of TRUTH (explain). But: the sad, distracted (add your own adjectives) world cannot see or know, and thus cannot receive. How come the disciples do receive, see and know? How can
do the same? (see below)
You know him, because he abides with you, and he will be in you.
The Spirit of Truth abides with us, and is IN us. Abide = loyal forever, remaining always, clinging faithfully, no matter what - "to infinity & beyond". That's what Jesus will ask his Abba for, for us. What do you think about that?
5) Brainstorm & make a poster: Top 10 Things to Ask the Father. Take a photo;
email it to me
6) Snack time! Prayers first: talk to God! "I'm grateful for, I'm worried about, I ask for," etc. And/or take 5 or so minutes for centering prayer: relaxing into peace and letting thoughts go. Enjoy your snack.
7) Finally, clean up your space(s), and say a closing prayer, like:
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
- Plato. Blow out the candle, or put away the intentional object (or leave it there if you'd like to create a little sacred area) and say out loud:
Go now in peace, to love and serve the Lord! Thanks be to God! ALLELUIA!
(You can say Alleluia as many times as you want, now!)
News & Tasks:
- Is there a virtual thing we can do? Dream it!
So we can do it!
if you want the links to past classes. You may find that the ways you think about things or the ways you act change over time, especially during these ponderous, pondering days.
Another Top 10 List: Ways the Spirit of Truth is my Advocate.
how are you?
What can I, or Fr John, or our church, do for you?