Grayslake Fire Protection District Smoke Alarm Installation Program
Did you know that most smoke alarms have a life span of only about 10 years and that they are recommended for every bedroom!
The Grayslake Fire Protection District is part of a program sponsored by the Office of the Illinois State Fire Marshal and the Illinois Fire Safety Alliance to install
free smoke alarms
in residents’ homes in the Fire District.
This initiative has revealed that many homes in our area have expired or nonworking smoke alarms. Many people are not aware that these alarms generally have a life expectancy of about 10 years, and many have not been replaced since the house was originally built. Additionally, as fire behaviors and fire codes have changed, smoke alarms are now recommended to be in more locations in the home, particularly inside bedrooms. It is safer to sleep with the bedroom door closed.
Please contact the Fire Prevention Bureau or Community Outreach Coordinator Jim Appleman at the Grayslake Fire Protection District
for more information or to request smoke alarm installation.
Keep the Wreath Red
The Grayslake Fire Protection District would also like to remind everybody of its participation in the annual “Keep the Wreath Red” Program in an effort to promote Holiday Safety. At each fire station there is a Holiday wreath on display and illuminated entirely by red light bulbs. If there is a fire caused by any holiday decorations, firefighters will replace a red bulb with a white bulb. Thus, the goal of the program is to “Keep the Wreath Red”. The program runs through New Year’s Day.
Fire Safety Reminders for the home during the Holidays include:
Have working smoke alarms on every level of your home, in the hallways outside bedrooms, and inside each bedroom. Test alarms monthly, replace batteries at least once a year, and replace alarms when they are 10 years old.
Have working carbon monoxide alarms within 15 feet of every sleeping area.
Make sure all electrical cords & decorations are UL-listed, in good condition, and not overloaded. Do not place electrical cords under rugs. Make sure all cords used outside are listed for outdoor use.
Keep live Christmas trees watered thoroughly and frequently. Do not use live candles on or near the tree!
Be extremely careful with candles—better yet, use battery-powered candles instead.
Keep a multi-purpose (ABC) fire extinguisher handy and know how to use it.
Never leave the house or go to bed with candles lit, holiday lights on, or food cooking on the stove.
Have your fireplace chimney professionally inspected and cleaned, and use a secure fireplace screen.
Keep all combustible items at least 3 feet (36 inches) from any heat source.
Clean the lint from your dryer after every load, and have dryer vent professionally cleaned.