After 31 years, our Highway Commissioner Bill Grinnell is retiring. Because he is in the middle of his term, the board must appoint a replacement. We thank Bill for his service to our residents and wish him the best in his retirement.
FREMONT TOWNSHIP, Highway Commissioner
The Highway Commissioner is an elected position which has the responsibility of managing the 40 miles of highway roads in unincorporated Fremont Township and the two special service areas in the Ivanhoe Country Club.
The highway commissioner develops their own budget and recommends the levy to the town board.
This position includes working with our residents and homeowner associations, which includes conflict resolution. Additional responsibilities include planning, coordinating, scheduling, supervising, and directing staff. Main programs of responsibility include, but are not limited to, snow and ice removal, highway and bridge maintenance, highway construction, equipment scheduling and utilization, determining work priorities, scheduling and deployment of highway department personnel and equipment.
The Highway Commissioner is required to reside within the boundaries of Fremont Township for one year, be a registered voter and not have been convicted of any crime, bribery, perjury or other felony.
The ideal candidate would:
- Have valid Illinois Class A or B CDL license with airbrake endorsement and qualify under the township’s insurance carrier when driving a township vehicle.
- Have municipal, state or township experience.
- Have experience with regulatory agencies in regards to permitting.
- MS4 compliance
- Be able to work with conflicts and neighbor disputes.
- Plow snow.
- Understand drainage laws.
- Understand employment laws.
- Be able to manage people effectively and develop and oversee related budgets.
- Familiarity with computers and software relating to maintenance and inventory.
- Manually lift a minimum of 50 pounds.
Please provide your resume, a copy of your drivers license and a driving record abstract that you can get at
or mail to Fremont Township, Attn: Diana O’Kelly at 22385 Route 60, Mundelein, Illinois 60060. Must be received by November 27 at 3:30 pm. This position is subject to random drug testing.