Friday Five Newsletter
|Venture Experience 2018!!
Join Us For Venture Experience 2018!
What did you do last weekend?
Interested in joining a Venture Crew, meeting others, finding out what they do or just want a weekend to camp and have fun outdoors?
Already part of a Venture Crew and want to join us for a great weekend to camp and enjoy high adventure activities?
May 4 - 6, 2018
965 Scout Rd.
Four Oaks, NC 27524
* Arrival Friday May 4th between 5 and 7:00p. and departure Sunday, May 6th by 10:00a.
Open to current Venture Crew members and any other young men and women ages 13 1/2 -19. Cost is $25 for the weekend for camping, all food, supplies and activities.
Current BSA Health and Medical Form parts A and B, and BSA activity waiver required. Contact Scott Carroll at (919) 264-4963 or
or Sarah Fernandez
or (919) 734-1714 for more information.
Registration required via the form at this
. Submit registrations and payments to: Tuscarora Council, ATT: Venture Experience, 172 NC Hwy 581 S., Goldsboro, NC 27530.
Interested in starting a Venture Crew or seeing what is required to charter one, and how it can work in conjunction with other Scouting units in the area or within the same chartering organization?
Info will be available - Come check out the activities, meet current local Crew Advisors, Chartering Organization Representatives and Professional Venturing Advisor.
With questions or for more information, contact Scott Carroll at firstname.lastname@example.org, or (919) 264-4963, or Sarah Fernandez at Sarah.Fernandez@Scouting.org, or (919) 734-1714.
- Venture Crew 24 - Clayton NC
- Venture Crew 33 - Clayton NC
- Venture Crew 8 - Goldsboro, NC, and
Tuscarora Council Venturing Officers Association.
Get Hooked on Scouting - Spring Cub
Calling ALL Cub Scouts! Come out and spend the morning with your fellow Cubs and enjoy a morning full of spring Cub fishing fun and beautiful spring weather at Lake Sylvania at
Registration deadline is
Lake Sylvania - Camp Tuscarora
Saturday - May 12, 2018
Assembly for Registration at the Flag Pole
Fishing runs from 8:30 AM - 12:00 PM
* Concessions on site all day! Hot dogs, drinks, chips,etc.
$8.00 per Cub Scout ($10.00 after May 4th)
Items You'll Need to Bring:
* A Cub Scout AND a Parent/Guardian
* Fishing Pole (Rod & reel, cane pole, etc.)
* Bait (Live bait only! No artificial lures)
* A Bucket or small cooler to transport fish to the weighing station
* Cub Scout Spirit
- Live bait only
- Fishing from bank only - NO BOATS, NO FISHING AT MILL CREEK
- Only the fish caught by Cub Scouts count towards competition, no fish caught by adults will be counted in the competition.
- Each youth participant must be under the direct supervision of an adult at all times.
Find the registration flyer here
* Don't forget to bring a bucket or container to transport your fish to the weighing station! It's "Catch and Release", and we like to keep 'em alive. *
NEW 72 Hour Rule - Effective June 1st
The 72-Hour Rule Will Affect Summer Camp Programs: Be Prepared
Effective June 1, 2018,
any adult accompanying a Boy Scout Troop to a residence camp or other Scouting activity lasting 72 hours or more
MUST be registered as a leader, including completion of a criminal background check and Youth Protection Training 2, even if they are the parent of a youth on the trip. Please note that the 72 hours need not be consecutive.
Speaking of Youth Protection 2 (YPT2): Just a reminder that
Everyone registered with the
(volunteers, professionals and staff) are required to take YPT2 no later than October 1, 2018!
As a convenience to our leaders on camp during both Cub Scout and Boy Scout Resident Camp this summer, we will be offering several opportunities for you to take YPT2 in a classroom setting as a group. (Leaders not on camp for the week are also welcome to join us in order to complete this training well in time for the October deadline!) More details and schedules available soon.
Camp T is now on Instagram! We're looking forward to a fun and fabulous summer season at Camp Tuscarora, and want you to have a sneak peek at all of the fun and action too. Watch out for weekly action shots of Scouting summer fun and catch up with what's new in the Four Oaks Trading Post.
BALOO (Basic Adult L
eader Outdoor Orientation) Spring 2018
BALOO (Basic Adult
Leader Outdoor Orientation) Training
BRAND NEW Course - Expanded Content!
· Who: Cub Scout Leaders & Webelos Leaders
· What: Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO)
· When: Saturday, May 5, 2018, 8:00am - Sunday, May 6, 2018, 11:00am (Effective 8/16/17, BALOO is now an overnight training. Also, there is no longer a separate outdoor course for Webelos Leaders. OWLS has been incorporated in to the new, updated and expanded BALOO Course.)
· Where: Camp Tuscarora (965 Scout Rd, Four Oaks, NC 27524)
· Cost: $30 - includes all course materials and meals.
Deadline to sign up is April 27.
In order for a Pack to go camping, at least one leader, (two are highly recommended) must be BALOO trained and on site during the campout.
PLEASE NOTE: BALOO training is now comprised of two components-an online component and a practical, hands-on component. Both components must be completed to qualify as a "TRAINED" Cub Scout outdoor leader.
The online component must be completed prior to the practical component. The online training contains introductory and basic information that will be built upon during the practical training.
|IOLS (Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills) Spring 2018
to Outdoor Leader Skills)
- Who: Boy Scout Leaders, and Venturing Leaders
- What: Introduction to Leadership Skills (IOLS)
- When: May 5 - 6, 2018. 8:00am Saturday - 11:30am Sunday
- Where: Camp Tuscarora (965 Scout Rd, Four Oaks, NC 27524)
- Cost: $40, includes course materials and meals.
- Deadline to register is April 30 by 4:30p.
- This training is to understand how the Boy Scout Outdoor Program works. A "Trained" Scoutmaster needs this training and Position Specific training to be considered "Trained."
In terms of supplies, you will need: a ground cloth, lantern (if you have one), compass, mess kit, tent, sleeping bag, personal toiletries. Food is provided during the weekend.
* Bonus Training Session on Friday, May 4th for any IOLS participants also in need of Scoutmaster Specific Indoor training:
Friday, May 4th - 6:00p. - 10:30p. (FREE to any registered IOLS participant who needs to complete this course. Please indicate this choice on your registration form if interested.)
Phone: _________________ E-mail: ____________________
Unit #: __________ Unit Position: _______________________
Find the registration form
Please Send Payments to:
Tuscarora Council, IOLS
172 NC Hwy 581 S.
Goldsboro, NC 27530
CHECK US OUT AND FOLLOW OUR STORY IN PICTURES ON INSTAGRAM!
Boy Scouts of America
Council Service Center - 172 NC Hwy 581 S.
Goldsboro, NC 27530
P 919.734.1714 F 919.734-6540
Camp Tuscarora - 965 Scout Road
Four Oaks, NC 27524
Want to Join Scouting? www.BEASCOUT.org