DC Council passes COVID-19 Response Temporary Amendment Act of 2020
enables Mayor Muriel Bowser to issue wage replacement and business relief and to exercise additional authority and exemptions regarding health, public safety, consumer protection and government operations.
The legislation also:
- Halts rent increases during the public health emergency and for 30 days after
- Revises Tenant Opportunity to Purchase Act (TOPA) extensions
- Suspends notices of intent to vacate
- Provides debt collection relief during and within 60 days after the public health emergency
- Offers vacant property designation waivers for commercial businesses closed during the emergency
- Requires locally regulated mortgage companies to offer a 90-day deferment program
Montgomery County Council funds Public Health Emergency Grant (PHEG) package for struggling county residents, businesses
Expedited Bill 16-20
appropriates $20 million to an emergency grant package that authorizes grants to local for-profit or non-profit businesses that have a principal place of business in the county and employ 100 or fewer full-time employees. The maximum grant for financial losses due to the pandemic would be $75,000.
The bill also authorizes mini-grants for eligible for-profit or non-profit businesses up to $2,500 to reimburse the business for costs incurred related to teleworking during the public health emergency.
PHEG program’s website
for details. An announcement will be posted to this site as soon as applications can be filed.
The information in this email is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as formal legal guidance by GCAAR members, including affiliate or secondary members, nor communicated as formal legal guidance to any members of the public.
As the COVID-19 situation continues to develop, GCAAR members, including affiliate and secondary members, and their clients are advised to verify all information with federal, state and local authorities, their brokers and/or their corporate counsel before making any decisions related to the contents of this email or their business practices.
GCAAR is a trade association at the service of its members and t
here is no attorney-client relationship intended or implied.