Dear Great Hearts Live Oak founding families,
Tomorrow we embark on a start to school that is new for all of us. The Great Hearts team is ever thankful for your continued patience, persistence and optimism with distance learning, the technology involved, and class assignments. This email serves to provide you with just-in-time support for your student(s) to have a smooth first day with GHDL.
By now, you should have:
- Received Google Classroom details (and perhaps logged into your student’s Google Classroom account). You may not see any classes loaded yet. That is okay; they will be loaded by tomorrow morning.
Received a message from your student’s teacher and know what time your student is to arrive online tomorrow. The morning check-in begins promptly at 8:00 AM! Students may enter the Zoom waiting room as early as 7:50 AM.
- Picked up all necessary supplies from school (textbooks and classroom materials, EduKits if ordered, loaner devices if applicable).
Provided consent for use of Google Classroom and Zoom (due this Friday, August 14). Click here to do so if you have not already.
How to use Google Classroom and Zoom well and right:
- Important note for returning students: Do not use the email from last school year as it has been disabled.
- If you’ve not already done so, log in with your student to Google Classroom.
- Classroom Zoom links will be posted in Google Classroom by tomorrow morning.
- Each Zoom link should have a password with it which will need to be typed in for classroom waiting room entry.
- Students are expected to be in uniform and have their video turned on for the duration of all synchronous classes.
- If there are multiple students in your home or the space is noisy, it is recommended for students to use headphones with a built-in microphone.
Ensure your student’s name is listed with her/his video. Click here for instructions.
- Attendance is taken when students are in the Zoom waiting room. Students will be let in one-by-one, which means it will take time. Please ensure your student is in the Zoom waiting room at least five minutes before class starts.
- Practice with the Zoom settings this evening if you are not familiar with the platform.
Do you need support?
For questions that are school-specific or about a Great Hearts borrowed device, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions related to use of Google Classroom or Zoom, please first view the resource documents posted below.
We know this email may not answer all your questions, so please reach out to your school so we can support you with a great first day tomorrow. The technical needs and requirements are important. We also have relationships to build and online classroom norms to establish. Much of our first few days will focus on these areas. It will take time, and we are so ready to get started!
Our very best,
The Great Hearts Team