During week 4 of the GHT Fitness Challenge participants can earn extra points by practicing a healthy habit of getting an adequate night’s sleep. Earn extra points by getting 7-9 hours of sleep each day.
Sleep is a vital component of every person's overall health and well-being. Unfortunately, we often neglect getting enough sleep. It is important because it enables the body to repair and get ready for another day. Getting adequate rest can have many benefits.
- Skipping sleep is linked to higher body weight
- Good sleepers tend to eat fewer calories
- An ample amount of sleep can improve concentration and productivity
- Poor sleepers have a greater risk of heart disease and stroke
- Sleep affects glucose metabolism and type 2 diabetes risk
- Poor sleep is linked to depression
- Adequate sleep improves your immune function
"Keeping a food diary blew my mind when I reviewed it at the end of the week. I see where I need to focus," shared Traci Robinson from Sheboygan County. Practicing the weekly healthy habit not only earns you extra points, but may help you live a healthier lifestyle.
Get your extra points in with the following habits each week!
Consume at least 64 oz. of water per day
Sleep 7-9 hours per night
Do a 5-10 minute warm-up and 5-10 minute cool down
Minimum of 5 minutes of relaxation without interruption