Make Your Plans for #GISPro 2019
Start reviewing the comprehensive workshop and training opportunities, featured speakers, professional development and networking events, and the abundance of concurrent breakout sessions in these focused program tracks:
- GIS Leadership & Management
- Community Resiliency and Sustainability
- Social Justice and Equity Implications of GIS
- GIS Supporting Health and Human Services
- Data Management and Analysis
- Geospatial Technology Innovations
- Inspiring the Future of GIS and Education
Take advantage of additional focused education and attend a workshop (one workshop is included with full registration). Select from these important opportunities:
- Emergency Preparedness for GIS - limited availability
- Introduction to GIS for Equity and Social Justice
- GIS Program Management - limited availability
- GIS Strategic Planning
- Managing Addressing For the 21st Century
- Small Unmanned Systems (sUAS) for Mapping
- Preparing for GISP Certification
- Building Community Using Geospatial Tools
- NG9-1-1 and the GIS Workflow
Continuing Education: URISA is an AICP-approved Certification Maintenance (CM) provider and GIS-Pro 2019 was approved for a total of 73.0 CM credits! For the breakdown, click here or download the PDF summary. This event also earns ample Education points toward GISP initial certification and renewal. Individuals who are pursuing GIS professional certification, are encouraged to attend this full-day workshop in New Orleans for a valuable overview: Preparing for GISP Certification.
Explore the opportunities for students and young professionals at #GISPro2019 and sponsor their activities.
Donate an item to the
in support of URISA's GISCorps! URISA Chapters... what sort of themed baskets will you contribute? We had some creative ones last year!
Register, make your travel arrangements and start exploring New Orleans.
URISA Election Reminder - July 30 Deadline
URISA Members received their personalized voting instructions via email at the end of June and a reminder was sent to those who had not yet voted on July 17. The deadline for URISA members to cast their votes is July 30. This year's slate follows:
- Kevin Mickey, GISP, Director Professional Development and Geospatial Technologies Education, The Polis Center-IUPUI, Indianapolis, Indiana
For Board of Directors (to fill 3 positions):
- Thomas Fisher, AICP, GISP, GIS Applications Administrator, Cuyahoga County, Cleveland, Ohio
- Joshua Greenberg, GISP, PhD, Senior GIS/RS Analyst, Skagit County GIS, Mount Vernon, Washington
- Alex Hepp, Director, Assessment, CycloMedia Technology, Inc., Manahawkin, New Jersey
- Susan Kamei, Managing Director, USC Spatial Sciences Institute, Los Angeles, California
- Melisa Caric Lee, GISP, President, Compass Rose GIS, San Diego , California
- John Nolte, GISP, GIS Manager, Denver Water, Denver, Colorado
To help members decide for whom to vote, each candidate provided a profile of their professional experience and a statement about their ideas for URISA's future. Thanks in advance to all of these leaders and to all members who have or will take the time to vote!
URISA Vanguard Cabinet News: GIS-Pro 2019 Activities and Mentoring
They've been busy organizing local meet-ups, presenting at regional conferences, and volunteering on URISA committees and task forces.
Check out what they have planned for GIS-Pro 2019 in New Orleans
- Are you a Young Professional? Join your peers and get involved! (Note that significant registration discounts are offered to YP members!
- Do you have emerging YP leaders on your team? Encourage them to get involved!
- Consider showing your organization's support for the next generation of GIS leaders and sponsor their good work!
Sign up to become a mentor and provide valuable advice and insight to the next generation of GIS leaders. Mentors are needed for technical and professional skills and both short and long-term opportunities.
Great GIS Leadership Academy in Raleigh last month!
Next Up: Toronto and Phoenix
Hotel reservation deadline July 22 - Seats are limited!
We are so thrilled to announce that
Barry Wellar, C.M., GISP
will provide the closing remarks at the GIS Leadership Academy (GLA) in Toronto!
For registration and venue information, click here.
Of course attendance at the GLA provides ample Education Credits for GISP Certification and Renewal.
It also was approved for a whopping 37 AICP Certification Maintenance Credits!
Workshop and Presentation Proposals Invited for #GISValTech2020
International Association of Assessing Officers
(IAAO) are pleased to announce the 2020 GIS/Valuation Technologies Conference in Louisville, Kentucky. Formerly known as GIS/CAMA, the event has been re-branded to take into account the abundance of technologies that, when integrated with GIS, make valuation and assessment more accurate, efficient and applicable for jurisdictions of all sizes.
Workshop and presentation proposals are now invited!
Please check out the suggested topics and submission details
Final Touches Being Put on the 2019 URISA Caribbean GIS Conference Program
Have you taken the GIS Service Pledge?
In partnership with Esri, GISCorps launched a program called the "GIS Service Pledge". Esri has committed to donating personal use licenses of its ArcGIS software for each GISCorps volunteer who takes a "GIS Service Pledge" to volunteer for a good cause.
URISA's GISCorps volunteers can leverage this software donation to support any topic or organization they are passionate about that meets GISCorps' mission and its policies, whether local or abroad. Examples could include supporting a local food bank, land trust, or animal shelter. For details, click here.
It was great catching up with so many URISA members and friends at the Esri UC in San Diego.
Huge thank you to current Vanguard Cabinet members Christina Brunsvold, Rachel Rodriguez and Caitlyn McNabb; former Vanguard members Ashley Hitt and Wendy Peloquin; and URISA veterans Glenn O'Grady and Kevin Mickey for assisting at the very busy URISA booth!
2019 Event Calendar
Have you had a chance to check out the online event calendar for all of the regional and URISA chapter events taking place?
Check out all of the upcoming events
Clearance Price on The GIS Management Handbook
URISA is pleased to announce the upcoming release of the
second edition of The GIS Management Handbook. This is a major revision of the 2009 book by author Peter Croswell. Planned for release in early September, the book has greatly expanded and updated content and comes with a valuable set of supplemental digital materials. It is a valuable resource and tool for practitioners in all types of organizations and is suitable for use in upper level college and university courses.
Grab a copy for your office library. We need to make room!
Regular Price: $110
Clearance price $25 plus shipping and handling
GIS Certification News
GISCI recently released a revised blueprint for the Geospatial Core Technical Knowledge Exam ® for the GISP certification.
The next exam will be offered December 7-14, 2019. It and subsequent exams will be based on the revised blueprint.
URISA Logo Apparel
Long sleeve, short sleeve, cardigans, and pullover fleece, check out the URISA Logo Store!