Check The Ladder
- Will it hold the user's weight?
- Is it in good condition?
- Is it tall enough to do the job?
Check It's Position
- Is it fully opened and locked?
- Is it on a hard, flat non-movable surface?
- Does it lean against a secure, unmovable surface?
- If it's in front of a door, move it.
- Remember the 4 to 1 ratio for ladder safety.
- Wearing shoes free from grease and mud?
- Facing the ladder as you ascend, descend and work?
- Mounting the ladder from the center, not the side?
- Maintaining a 3-point contact with the ladder at all times?
- Use fiberglass ladders around electrical wires or power lines
- Secure ladder when not in use
- Check the ladder shoes (feet) to ensure they're free of grease and mud
- Hold on with both hands
- Carrying tools in hands. Use pockets, belt or pouch to raise and lower
- Climbing higher than the third rung from the top
- Overreaching...keep your torso between the ladder rails
- Using an outdoor ladder on windy days