By: Simone Abel, RN
I frequently get asked about what you can do to help with bags under the eyes. We are born with three fat pads under our eyes, and as we get older this fat can start to herniate. Swelling in this area can also be an issue with fluid accumulating around your eyes. The good news is, there are a few different options to treat bags under the eyes!
I always recommend starting with the least invasive treatments, and if you aren’t getting the results you wish, then you can move to the next option.
At-home Remedies that can help with bags under the eyes:
1. Cool compresses. – Put 2 spoons in your freezer, and every morning place the spoons over your eyes for 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Stay hydrated! This might mean to also cut back on your alcohol.
3. Allergies can cause puffiness around your eyes. If you suffer from allergies, trying taking a Claritin or Zyrtec during the day and Benadryl at night.
4. Sleep with an extra pillow so your head is elevated a bit more. This helps prevent the pooling of fluid in your face and around your eyes.
5. SLEEP! It’s so important to get 8 hours of sleep!
6. Cut back on the salty foods! Salt causes fluid retention and can make you puffy everywhere not just your eyes.