City of Garland Health Department
Public Health Notice
March 18, 2020
The Garland Health Department (GHD) received a report of a laboratory confirmed human case of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in a Garland resident in their 30s. Initial information suggests that this case is not travel related. This is the first confirmed COVID-19 case reported in Garland. The infected individual has been released from the hospital and is recovering at home under a 14-day quarantine order.
The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, cough and shortness of breath, usually two to 14 days after exposure. To help prevent the spread, please remember these simple but important precautions:
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Maintain social distancing of 6 feet with all persons.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue, and then wash your hands. Cough or sneeze into your elbow or sleeve instead of your hand.
- Frequently clean and disinfect objects and surfaces.
- Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, drink plenty of fluids, eat nutritious foods and manage your stress.
Other COVID-19 response updates, City service updates and event cancellations and postponements are available at GarlandTX.gov.