Gift Ideas for Father's Day
Father's Day is this Sunday, June 17, 2018. We've put together a little "Father's Day Shopping Guide" full of great ideas for gifts like:
- L.A. Conservancy Last Remaining Seats Tickets
Who doesn't love movies? Better yet, who doesn't love movies in a beautiful theatre? Treat Dad to the experience of seeing a move the way movies were meant to be seen... in one of Los Angeles' historic theatres. The Fashion District is home to two beautifully restored Broadway theatres. Use promo code "FASHION18" for 20% off tickets.
- Experience Escape Room LA
Voted LA's best live entertainment, Escape Room LA is the largest and most popular escape game room venue in Los Angeles. Escape rooms are live-action adventures where you'll race to solve clues and puzzles and escape before your time runs out
- Pop Obscure Records & Art Gallery
If Dad loves music, invite him on a trip down to visit this awesome records store. Pop Obscure Records is Downtown Los Angeles' first vinyl only record store. The space is also an art gallery dedicated to showcasing works of art by established and up-and-coming artists.
- And more! Click here for the full gift guide.
A New Los Angeles Street
Councilmember Jose Huizar, LA Fashion District BID Staff and the Bureau of Street Services recenlty celebrated the dedication of the Los Angeles Street Streetscape Project. The $2 million project funded pedestrian improvements for Los Angeles Street from 7th Street to Olympic Boulevard, including 27 new trees with custom cast iron tree grates, a
pproximately 13,000 square feet of new sidewalk, new landscaping and lighting. As part of the beautification project, two ADA-compliant bump outs were installed at the mid-street crosswalks to improve the pedestrian experience.
Los Angeles Street has undergone numerous transformations. From manufacturing center to discount corridor and most recently menswear destination, it is once again reinventing itself. The quiet transformation is most evident by the retail and wholesale tenants that have moved into the ground and upper floor spaces in the last couple of years and the residents who now call this street home. Here are some of the latest Los Angeles Street developments.
- Stumptown Coffee is opening at the corner of 8th and Los Angeles Street.
- Grether & Grether Lofts opened in late 2017 adding 72 residential units to the area.
- Developer Urban Offerings is transforming 755 S. Los Angeles St. into a creativeoffice campus, complete with a 27,000-square-foot food hall and 60,000 square feet of office space.
- Pop Obscure Records and Art Gallery, an independent vinyl-only record store, opened at 735 S. Los Angeles St.
- Thanks to new galleries like Ren Gallery, Avenues des Art and Diego Cardoso, Los Angeles Street now finds itself included in the popular 2nd Thursday Art Walk, which can attract up to 25,000 attendees.
- Los Angeles Street has also become a foodie corridor with eateries such as Localita & The Badasserie, Café Alba, Brunch DTLA and nearby Sonoratown and Wild Living Foods.
Be a DTLA VIP, Join the Make It Yours Club
The Make It Yours Club offers the best discounts, deals and special offers available in Downtown Los Angeles each week - straight to your phone. To join text MAKEITYOURS to 99000 or click here. This week, Make It Yours is giving away tickets to the 20th anniversary screening of the The Big Lebowski at Street Food Cinema in LA State Historic Park. Sign-up to win!
- June 13 - Last Remaining Seats Presents: In the Heat of the Night, Ace Hotel
- June 14 - Cat Art Show 3: The Sequel Returns Again, Think Tank Gallery
- June 14 - Downtown Art Walk
- June 15 - By Land or By Sea: Women Who Shred Documentary Short Screening & Panel Discussion, The Theatre at Ace Hotel
- June 17 - Cool Dads BBQ & Vinyl Set, Ace Hotel
- June 18 - 20 - LA Market Week Apparel Trade Show, Participating Showrooms
- June 20 - Last Remaining Seats Presents: Steamboat Billy Jr., The Orpheum
- June 21 - An Evening with David Lynch, Ace Hotel
- June 24 - Michael Che, Ace Hotel
- June 25 - Sample Sales, Participating Showrooms
- June 29 - Dr. Cesar Lozano, The Orpheum
- June 30 - ARENA Dance Competition, The Theatre at Ace Hotel
- The Institute of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles (ICALA) is bringing performance art to The Santee Alley, L.A. Downtown News
- Los Angeles-based artist, Isaac Pelayo is debuting his solo exhibit in the Fashion District, Hypebeast
- Sneaker LAB is now open at 721 S. Los Angeles St.
- Sonoratown is now open for dinner, Eater LA
- Rossoblu was named one of the 10 best new restaurants in America by Robb Report and one of the best pasta restaurants in the city by Eater LA
- Poppy & Rose and Rossoblu are two of the 13 hottest brunch spots in Los Angeles, Eater LA
- Wild Living Foods serves raw and vegan for the masses, LA Downtowner
- Los Angeles Street Pedestrian updates were featured on Curbed LA, Urbanize.la, L.A. Downtown News, KNX Radio and 89.3 KPCC
Enjoy food, flowers, and fresh produce at
The Wall Farmer's Market
every Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The farmer's market sets up in front of the flower markets on Wall Street between 7th and 8th Streets.
Experience the District's Historic Theaters
Watch classic movies at The Orpheum and The Theatre at Ace Hotel. Tickets for the L.A. Conservancy's Last Remaining Seats series are now available.