As we roll into the holiday season let's take the time to also show our gratitude to the Earth. COVID-19 may have altered our family gatherings, but won't stop us from having a meaningful holiday season.
Wilton Go Green wanted to share a few tips for the holiday season
Plan to reduce food waste
1) Meal plan your holiday meals including how to manage leftovers and turn them into second meals.
2) Stick to your grocery list when shopping.
Setting the table
1) Use real dishes and cloth napkins.
2) Eliminate single-use items like paper/plastic plates, utensils, cups, and napkins.
1) Use natural items like gourds, seed pods, colorful fall leaves, pine cones, pine needles make beautiful decorations.
2) Get crafty and use common household items or thrift store finds to create your own decorations.
3) Enlist your kids to make your home and table festive from items they find at home.
1) If you're having company, ask your guest to bring a reusable container to pack their leftovers or provide them one as a parting gift.
1) Let the squirrels and chipmunks enjoy your pumpkins and gourds.
2) Take this opportunity to start composting in your own backyard. Want to learn how? Send us an email and we'll help you out firstname.lastname@example.org
3) Sign up for private food scrap collection with Curbside Compost. Curbside Compost offers weekly pick up of ALL your food scraps.
1) Shop Local. Head to your local shops and farms when looking for gifts for family and friends.
2) Give the gift of an experience for future use.
3) Give gifts of membership such as museums, nature centers and zoos.
4) Donate funds to an "adopt an animal" program.
5) Start saving that brown paper that comes from ordering online to use as wrapping paper. Get the kids to decorate it too!
6) Give gifts in reusable bags.