In an effort to help you set up Google Meet for the start of our distance learning program, please review the guide below.
Director of Technology
Google Hangouts Meet Guide
- If you have a laptop/desktop, that is the preferred and easiest method of accessing Google Meet. However, it does work on all devices.
- Prior to Wednesday morning, you should sign in to Google Meet and allow access to your microphone and camera. (more information below)
- If your child does not have a built in microphone or camera on their device, that is fine. They can use the chat box to speak, and do not need to be seen on camera.
- If you are using a web browser (e.g. Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge) on a laptop/desktop, you do not need to download an app. It works directly through the browser.
- You only need to download the app if you are using a smartphone, iPod, iPad, or tablet. To find the app in the Play Store or App Store, search for Hangouts Meet.
Accessing Google Hangouts Meet on a Laptop/Desktop:
Students/Parents will need to go into the teacher's portal and click on the Google Meet link, located under "Links".
You may be asked to sign in with a Google account. For students in Grades 4-8, you should use the given Harford Day Google account that you use at school. For younger students, a parent should sign in with a Google account.
You may use the same account for multiple children.
If you do not have a Google account, you can get one for free
Accessing Google Hangouts Meet on a Mobile Device (phone, iPad, iPod):
You will need to download the Google Hangouts Meet app.
Open the app and sign in using a Google account. For students in Grades 4-8, you should use the given Harford Day Google account that you use at school. For younger students, a parent should sign in with a Google account.
Once you are signed in, go to your web browser on the device (Safari, Chrome, etc.).
Log into the portal. (You may get to the portal via the
Click on your teacher's Google Meet link on their "Class" page, and it will open up the Google Meet app, and take you directly into your teacher's classroom.
Supported Operating Systems:
Google Hangouts Meet supports the current version and the 2 previous major releases of these operating systems:
Supported Web Browsers:
Meet works with the current version of the browsers listed below:
Meet has limited support in Microsoft Internet Explorer® 11, Microsoft Edge provides a better Meet experience. If you want to use Internet Explorer for Hangouts, you need to install a plugin for Meet. Download and install the latest version of the
Google Video Support plugin