Join us for the last Sunday in September. Pastor Melody's sermon series is called
"Meet Jesus -
If Jesus were the new kid at school, would you be His friend?"
This week, Pastor's sermon title is
"Student Becomes The Teacher."
No one is perfect. Yet Jesus can choose to use us anyway.
Everyone is welcome to stay after the service for fellowship.
Please set aside time each day to pray for 2-3 minutes. This week's prayer starter is
"Lord, give me faith to follow where you lead..."
Cultivating Beloved Community
This Sunday, Sept. 29 at 2:30p.m
Join us at Ghent UMC,
in our sanctuary,
, Sept. 29 from 2:30p.m. - 5:00p.m. for this community gathering called
Cultivating Beloved Community: A Space for Connecting
Volunteers are needed
to make this event possible. P
lease sign up
or on your Sunday Connection card or
by clicking here.
We will join together in worship, share community stories, and resources to lovingly support one another and dream together of a church for all of God's people. Childcare is provided.
For more information about the event, click here.
Ghent Inspire Book Club
Ghent Inspire Book Club
meets on the third Monday of the month at 7:30 p.m. in the church library. All are welcome to attend the meeting for fellowship, regardless of whether or not you've read the book. Our book selections are:
Jesus is for everyone.
A Word of Welcome from GUMC
- Based on a statement by Green Street UMC in Winston-Salem, NC
Ghent United Methodist Church is called to the affirmation of the sacred worth of all people. We embrace as a gift the diversity of our neighborhood and the world. We acknowledge our human family's diversity in sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ethnicity, language, age, faith history, theological orientation, economic status, education, marital status, abilities, and any other defining feature, real or perceived.
Click here to read the entire letter.
to read Pastor Melody's message to our church and community.
For our new website, we are looking for short audio/visual testimonies from people about how they met or meet God here at Ghent UMC. Please
contact Jennifer Gross-Statler
to let her know you are interested.
The recording process won't take long.
Save the Dates
- Leadership Team meetings are on 3rd Sundays following worship. All are welcome to attend these meetings in the church library.
- Ghent Church Stakeholders meetings, in general, are held at 8a.m. on the Thursday prior to the Leadership team meetings. For more information, please contact Gary Bonnewell.
- World Communion Sunday is Oct. 6. Come and be a part of our 10am worship and music that Sunday as we focus on the universal and inclusive nature of the church.
- Messy Church at Ghent UMC for all ages is 2nd Sunday of each month from 4:30 - 6pm in our social hall. The next event will be October 13. The theme is "God Loves a Cheerful Giver." Dinner is served. Volunteers and attendees please RSVP by clicking here. For more info, click here.
- GUMC Used Book Sale is during the Stockley Gardens Arts Festival on Sat., Oct. 19, 10a-5p, on our front porch and in the sanctuary lobby. Hardcovers $1.50; Paperbacks 75c. We will also host paid parking on Saturday and Sunday, too. Proceeds benefit missions and church programs. Volunteers are needed. Click here to sign up.
- Our annual charge conference will be on Sunday, Oct. 20, 2p.m., in our sanctuary. All Leadership team members are needed to come, and all others from our congregation are invited to attend.
- Rise Against Hunger: Mark your calendars for Saturday, November 2nd, 10:00 am - noon. Once again, we will package 10,000 meals, and we'll need 50 to 60 volunteers. This hands on mission project is a great way for the whole family to get involved in serving others, with tasks that are appropriate for all ages. Plus, the event provides fun and fellowship for all!
children, and youth
are invited to help on Sundays before and during worship.
to learn about our updated volunteer opportunities and to sign up.
You may also call the church office or contact the church office by
Worship With Us!
Sunday Worship at 10:00a.m.
(Nursery Care Provided)
Become a Member
Fall Kids Consignment Sale
Twice a year, Ghent United Methodist Preschool holds its children's consignment sale. The Fall sale is coming up!
- Saturday, Oct. 5, 8am - 12pm
- Sunday, Oct. 6, 12pm - 3pm
- Monday, Oct. 7, 9am - 12pm
Tuesday Small Group
Begins Oct. 8, 6:30 - 8pm
Grace. Is it really amazing? If not, why do churches talk about it so much? If so, why don't we demonstrate it more often?
Join us on Tuesday evenings this fall/winter in the church library to read and discuss the book
What's So Amazing About Grace
by Philip Yancey. He recounts story after story of the impact of grace and tries to convince us that grace is the concept Christianity can least afford to lose.
Jonathan & Melody Tanner lead this study, from 6:30-8pm in the church library on Tuesday evenings starting October 8. All are welcome and child care is provided! For additional information, please contact Jonathan.
Join a Small Group
Community Building Opportunities
Children and Youth
- Sunday mornings: Children's Church
- Sunday evenings: Middle & High School Youth (for more details, contact church office)
- Sunday mornings: 9am - Adult Sunday School
- Monday evenings monthly: Ghent Inspire Book Club meets monthly on 3rd Mondays at 7:30 p.m. in the church library.The next meeting will be Oct. 21 and the book is I Think You're Wrong (but I'm Listening): A Guide to Grace-Filled Political Conversations by Beth A. Silvers & Sarah Stewart Holland. All are welcome to join this group. For info and to RSVP, contact the church office.
- Tuesday evenings: 6:30-8pm - Tuesday Small Group for fall/winter resumes Oct. 8. Join us in the church library to read and discuss the book What's So Amazing About Grace? by Philip Yancey. Jonathan & Melody Tanner lead this study. All are welcome and child care is provided! Email Jonathan for more info.
- Friday mornings: 10am - Bible Study in the church library; The next session will begin September 27.This session will feature the 11-week series, Here and Now...There and Then by Beth Moore. The workbook for weekly assignments is $10. For more info, email Debbie Bonnewell.
- A volunteer is needed to help our music director with filing in the music office on our top floor. If you can help, please email Nellwyn.
are monthly on second Sundays, year-round. The October Gathering Jam will be on First Sunday, October 6. Bring an instrument and play along during the gathering part of our service at 9:45am. The music will be from all over the world. Guitars, percussion, and penny whistles are welcome.
- Musical Offerings: All ages and talents are welcome to perform at GUMC. Let Nellwyn know if you are willing to help.
- Organist Spencer Koger will play Sunday, October 13. That will be Spencer's last Sunday with us. He is leaving to focus more on his studies at CNU. We pray for his success!
Choir rehearsals are Wednesdays at 7pm in the sanctuary and everyone is invited to join the choir. Let Nellwyn Beamon know that you will be attending, so she knows to let you in the building.
In response to Christ's call to love one another, we want the members of our congregation to care for one another.
Jennifer Gross-Statler, our
Director of Congregational Care and Marketing,
works closely with Pastor Melody and our members to meet the care needs of our congregation, including the coordination of visits in homes, at hospitals and in facilities, as needed and requested. To learn more about Congregational Care at Ghent UMC, and other ways you can help, click on our church's website here.
via email or call her at
to sign up to visit one of our homebound members this month. Or if
you'd like a visit from Jennifer or a church member, contact her.