Join us as Pastor Melody continues the sermon series titled "Unafraid." The series is based on Adam Hamilton's book by the same name.
Her sermon this Sunday is entitled "Supper time!"
Everyone is welcome to stay after the service for fellowship.
Please set aside time each day to pray for 2-3 minutes. This week's prayer starter is:
"God, you are with me. You are my God. You strengthen me. You help me. You uphold me. When I am afraid, help me to know I am not alone and to be comforted and strengthened by your presence..."
Church Work Day
Saturday, July 14
Please come out and help us to beautify our church. Many hands make light work!
We will be painting various areas of the building this Saturday, July 14 at 10am.
On Sundays July 15 & 22, we will welcome guest pianist Karla Stead who will lead the music during our worship services.
Some of you may know Karla as the program director for Norview High School's Leadership Center for the Sciences and Engineering.
Please come and welcome her.
Due August 1
If you wish to make a request for the fall GUMC scholarship, the deadline is Wednesday, August 1. To qualify for a scholarship, applicants need to be a member of our church, attending an accredited college full time (12+ hours), and maintaining a C or better grade average.
New applicants must fill out an application. The application can be obtained by
Returning applicants need to submit an original signature letter that includes where you are attending college in the fall, how many credit hours you will be taking, and your grade average thus far. No transcripts are required.
Lemonade and Hymns
Wed., July 25 at 7:00pm
All are welcome to the next Lemonade & Hymns on Wednesday, July 25 from 7:00pm to 8:00pm on the front porch. Last month, it was "warm," but we were on the porch with a breeze, cool drinks, wet washcloths, and fans as we sang to our neighbors in Stockley Gardens.
This month, we will sing songs composed by Fanny Crosby and her contemporaries. Fanny is the author of favorites such as "Blessed Assurance," "To God be the Glory," and "I Need Thee Every Hour" among others. Bring your camp chair and your dog. The children had great fun last month.
** Volunteers are needed
to help make this event a success!
to read more and sign up.
Save the Dates
- Leadership Team Meeting, Sun., July 15 after worship service
- Messy Church: Sundays, Aug. 19 & Sept. 23, 4:30-6pm for all ages; dinner served.
- For Kids School Supply Drive: Bagging/Distribution is Tues., Aug. 21 - time & place TBA; Collection list TBA.
- Community Carnival is Sat., Sept. 15, 11am-1pm.
- Fall Kids Consignment Sale is Sept. 29-Oct. 1.
- Rise Against Hunger is Sat., Oct. 6 at 10am.
For more details about each event, click on the church's calendar. Then click on the date for the event.
Ghent UMC choir practices are on hiatus for the summer.
But, all ages are invited to join the following:
- Gathering Jams are monthly on second Sundays, year-round. The next is August 12. Bring an instrument and play along during the gathering part of our service at 9:45am.
- Lemonade and Hymns is monthly on Wednesdays. The next two are July 25 and August 22 from 7-8pm on our front porch. Bring your camp chairs and join us as we sing and play to the glory of God and for the fun of singing. Also, you are welcome to bring your instruments - music provided. Please spread the word. This is open to everyone who likes to sing.
- Pick-up Choirs are monthly on the last Sundays - July 29, August 26. Rehearsal is at 9:30am on those dates.
- Let Nellwyn Beamon know if you are willing to help with a variety of musical offerings this summer. Again, all are welcome.
children, and youth
are invited to help on Sundays before and during worship. We also need volunteers to be part of the outside clean up crew.
Also, please consider purchasing altar flowers to enhance our worship space.
to learn about our updated volunteer opportunities and to sign up.
You may also call the church office or contact the church office by
Worship With Us!
Sunday Worship at 10:00a.m.
(Nursery Care Provided)
Adult Sunday School
Adult Sunday School meets in the church library on the main floor.
All are welcome.
The IRA Charitable Rollover is now permanent. If you are 70 1/2 or older, you can transfer up to $100,000 of your IRA as a gift to Ghent UMC and not have it incur tax. For more information,
contact the church office by clicking here.
General Fund Pledging
Thanks to everyone who has pledged or already given!
$151,290 has been pledged so far, but we need to reach, at least, $155,940 to meet our budgeting goals.
As I'm sure you know, this new chapter in the life of Ghent Church is refreshing. But, it needs your financial support. Please pray for God's guidance about your annual giving. Place your pledge card in the offering plate.
Our pledge goal of $60,000 for sanctuary renovations and repairs has been met. Thank you to everyone for helping us to meet this goal. Please send in all pledge donations by August 31, 2018.
Your brother in Christ,
Join a Small Group
Community Building Opportunities
- Sunday mornings: Children's Church (details below)
- Sunday evenings: Middle & High School Youth (details below)
- Sunday mornings: Adult Sunday School
- Monday evenings monthly: Ghent Inspire Book Club will meet once over the summer- TBA
- Tuesday evenings: Young Family Small Group - Resumes in September
- 1st & 3rd Thursdays: Chillin' with the Chaplain - Resumes in August
- Resumes in the Fall: Bible Study
Resumes in Sept.: Coffee & Connections Small Group
GUMY (Middle and High School Youth)
- Duckpin Bowling - Wed., July 18 - Meet at 5:30pm at GUMC.
For more information about GUMY, please
Kim Kurtz by
Once a Month
During worship, we offer children's church for children ages 3 through 5th grade. During the scripture and sermon, they go to the library for a brief Bible lesson, activity or craft.
Please volunteer a few times per year to help educate our youth.
To sign up for a Sunday, click here.
In response to Christ's call to love one another, Ghent UMC wants the members of our congregation to care for one another.
Jennifer Gross-Statler, who is our
Director of Congregational Care and Marketing,
is available to visit and counsel those in our church community.
If you'd like a visit from Jennifer, call the church office at (757) 622-2843 or email her at