Inclement Weather Update for GUMC
Our church building is located in Zone A which is currently under mandatory evacuation by the Governor.
Therefore, our church building is closed and all activities taking place at the church are canceled or postponed until further notice.
Should the evacuation be lifted prior to Sunday, we will evaluate whether or not we are able to hold Sunday Worship service.
But, you are still able to listen to sermons from previous weeks. Just
, click here.
Please set aside time each day to pray for 2-3 minutes. This week's prayer starter is:
"You are my Lord and my God! When I am lost, help me to look for you..."
Our annual Community Carnival has been rescheduled to Saturday, September 22 from 11:00 am - 1:00 pm in Stockley Gardens between Raleigh Avenue and Boissevain Avenue. It's better than ever! So, be sure to put it on your calendar and bring along your neighbors and friends!
This event is FREE to everyone in the community.
To our YOUTH, Kim Kurtz is asking each of you to sign up to help.
To VOLUNTEER, click here.
For more information, call 757-622-2843 or email Jennifer Gross-Statler at
|Introducing Messy Church
Messy Church at Ghent UMC
Sunday, Sept. 23 4:30 - 6pm
The next Messy Church at Ghent UMC (which is
for ALL AGES) will be
Sunday, September 23
from 4:30pm - 6pm. The theme is "Creating & Caring."
Last month, we had a great turn out and lot's of fun in the Lord.
So, come for our traditional 10am worship service then bring your family back at 4:30pm
to explore your faith through engaging games, crafts, and activities.
Volunteers are needed and there are
New GUMC T-shirts
We are excited to say that Ghent UMC has new t-shirts with our new logo. The suggested donation is $10. The t-shirts are located in the back of our sanctuary.
Commission on a Way Forward, General Conference 2019
Wed., Sept. 26
If you have questions about the Commission on a Way Forward, the Commission's reports going before General Conference (GC) 2019 or GC 2019 itself, then save the date for "A Way Forward: A Q&A event with Bishop Sharma D. Lewis, the Rev. Tom Berlin, and Ms. Martha Stokes."
The 90-minute event will be held on Wednesday,
at 7 p.m. at Reveille UMC, 4200 Cary Street Rd, Richmond, VA 23221-2526. Bishop Lewis, the Rev. Berlin, and Ms. Stokes will share their thoughts as well as moderate questions on these topics.
The event will be live-streamed and archived at
You will be able to watch from your PC or Mac.
Also, Rev. Tom Statler will be leading us through a multi-week journey where we will study scripture regarding human sexuality, spend time in personal discernment, learn more about the Commission and upcoming General Conference and more to prepare us for the future God has in store for Ghent UMC.
Upcoming Small Group Meetings
- Chillin' with the Chaplain resumes on Thursday, 9/20 at 5:30pm at The Public House. Address is 1112 Colley Ave., Norfolk. Join Rev. Tom Statler there!
- Ghent Inspire Book Club will meet on Mon. 9/24, 7:30 p.m., at Omar's Carriage House, 313 West Bute Street in downtown Norfolk. We will make our fall plans for book club and also listen to and support each other. All are invited to come. Please contact Melanie Cramer for more information and to RSVP.
Save the Dates
Messy Church at Ghent UMC for All Ages: 4:30pm - 6pm o
n Sun., Sept 23, and then thereafter on the 3rd Sunday of each month. Dinner will be served.
- GUMP Fall Kids Consignment Sale is
Sat., Sept. 29, 8am - 12pm
Sun., Sept. 30, 12pm - 3pm
Mon., Oct. 1, 9am - 12pm
- Rise Against Hunger is Sat., Oct. 6 at 10am.
- Stakeholders Meeting is Thu., Oct. 4 at 8am.
- Book Sale and Parking Lot Fundraiser is Oct. 20 - 21.
- Charge Conference is Oct. 28 at 2pm, at Ghent UMC.
For more details about each event, click on the church's calendar. Then click on the date for the event.
All ages are invited to join the following:
- The choir rehearsal for Sept. 12 is CANCELED. Please plan to attend next Wed, Sept. 19, 7 p.m.
- Organ music, played by organist Spencer Koger, is monthly on first Sundays during our 10am worship service.
are monthly on second Sundays, year-round. Bring an instrument and play along during the gathering part of our service at 9:45am.
- Musical Offerings A variety of musical offerings are desired; let Nellwyn know if you are willing to help.
Worship With Us!
Sunday Worship at 10:00a.m.
(Nursery Care Provided)
Each week in this newsletter, we want to share something you find interesting about Ghent UMC.
3-4 sentences, share your stories, thoughts or memories; whether they are serious or humorous. Then we will post them here. Perhaps you want to t
ell us why you love your church.
email the church office
with your brief story. And if you have a photo that can accompany it, we'll try to use that, too.
Adult Sunday School
Adult Sunday School meets in the church library on the main floor.
All are welcome.
It's that time of the year again!
It's time to re-link your Harris Teeter Grocery Vic card to Ghent Preschool. Last year, GUMP received $185.35 from the Together In Education program.
to learn more about the program and to link your Harris Teeter VIC card to GUMP's account, #5347. You may also link your card in the stores.
General Fund Pledging
Thanks to everyone who has pledged or already given!
$151,690 has been pledged so far, but we need to reach, at least, $155,940 to meet our budgeting goals.
As I'm sure you know, this new chapter in the life of Ghent Church is refreshing. But, it needs your financial support. Please pray for God's guidance about your annual giving. Please indicate your pledge on your Connection Card on Sunday and place in the offering plate or contact the church office.
Your brother in Christ,
Join a Small Group
Community Building Opportunities
- Sunday mornings: Children's Church (details below)
- Sunday evenings: Middle & High School Youth (details below)
- Sunday mornings: Adult Sunday School
- Monday evenings monthly: Ghent Inspire Book Club resumes 9/24, 7:30pm Omar's Carriage House in Norfolk
- Tuesday evenings: Young Family Small Group - Resumes in September
- Wednesday mornings: Coffee & Connections Small Group resumes in the September
- 1st & 3rd Thursdays: Chillin' with the Chaplain - Resumes 9/20, 5:30pm at The Public House in Norfolk
- Friday mornings: Bible Study resumes in the Fall
Once a Month
During worship, we offer children's church for children ages 3 through 5th grade. During the scripture and sermon, they go to the library for a brief Bible lesson, activity or craft.
Please volunteer a few times per year to help educate our youth.
To sign up for a Sunday, click here.
In response to Christ's call to love one another, Ghent UMC wants the members of our congregation to care for one another.
Jennifer Gross-Statler, who is our
Director of Congregational Care and Marketing,
is available to visit and counsel those in our church community.
If you'd like a visit from Jennifer, call the church office at (757) 622-2843 or email her at
children, and youth
are invited to help on Sundays before and during worship. We also need volunteers to be part of the outside clean up crew.
Also, please consider purchasing altar flowers to enhance our worship space.
to learn about our updated volunteer opportunities and to sign up.
You may also call the church office or contact the church office by