October 14, 2017
Bonnie Cox, LWVIL President
Hilary Denk, Vice President, Issues
Heather Cunningham, Co-chair, Issues Committee
Mary Klonowski & Barbara Marsh, Issue Specialist
Call your State Representative to support SB 1657, the Gun Dealer Licensing Act
which would both license and regulate gun dealers in Illinois.
There are high expectations that the bill will be called during the extended (veto) session on October 24, 25, 26 or November 7, 8, 9.
Local leagues in legislative districts with the following Representatives are strongly encouraged to set up an in-person interview prior to October 22nd:
Linda Chapa Lavia
To prepare for an interview local Leagues can request a copy of a summary of the bill, talking points and counter arguments to those of the National Rifle Association (NRA). Send an e-mail to
which LWVIL Issues Specialists set up specifically for this purpose.
WHY IT MATTERS:
This law would:
- License and regulate gun dealers to hold those dealers accountable
- Require background checks of employees and licensees
- Allow for inspection of gun dealer businesses to ensure compliance
- Require training of the licensee and employees to conduct background checks, stop straw purchases and ensure proper storage to prevent theft.
- Prevent a new gun dealer business from locating within 1000 feet of a school