This year’s GHSA gymnastics championships at Ola High School marked the first year with the 6A-7A and A-5A classifications being divided, allowing two participating schools to take home a state title.
In class 6A-7A, the West Forsyth Wolverines grabbed their third consecutive title to become the seventh program in GHSA Girls Gymnastics history to accomplish a three-peat.
While the Wolverines’ final score of 111.725 matched Lambert’s, a tiebreaker decision from the judges ruled in favor of the defending champs. Ella Castellanos returned to the competition as a familiar face and was outstanding for the Wolverines with a second-place finish on the balance beam (9.3), fourth place finishes on the uneven parallel bars (9.6) and floor exercise (9.225) and an all-around second-place finish (37.9). Olivia Blakely was also stellar for West Forsyth, placing third in the vault (9.7) and finishing third in the all-around (37.525).
Lambert’s Brianna Greenlow finished second in the all-around during last year’s state championship behind gymnastics standout Savannah Schoenherr, but took one step further in this year’s meet to become the all-around champion in class 6A-7A (38.675). Greenlow placed first in both the balance beam (9.6) and floor exercise (9.9) while snagging second place on the vault (9.75).
In class A-5A, the North Oconee Titans claimed the school’s first gymnastics state title in school history by besting second-place Denmark by 5.25 points. Elena Arenas gave North Oconee a second-place finish on the uneven parallel bars (9.7), a third-place finish in the floor exercise (9.65), and a fourth-place finish on the vault (9.625) to give her the second-place finish in the all-around (38.55). Her two teammates Brantley Lucas and Karlee Wells tied for first and placed third on the vault, respectively. Lucas also tied for second on the balance beam (9.35). Maylen Pulliam gave the Titans their only first-place finish in the event titles with a 9.4 score on the balance beam.
Denmark’s Sarah Wilson earned herself the title of all-around champion (38.8) in class A-5A on the back of three first-place finishes in the floor exercise (9.7), vault (9.8) and a perfect 10.00 on the uneven parallel bars.
2019 GHSA Gymnastics Championships at Ola High School
1. West Forsyth (111.725) 2. Lambert (111.725) 3. Cambridge (107.975) 4. Etowah (107.375)
1. Brianna Greenlow, Lambert (38.675) 2. Ella Castellanos, West Forsyth (37.9) 3. Olivia Blakely, West Forsyth (37.525) 4. Rubylyn Goad, Newnan (37.275)
Uneven Parallel Bars
1. Molly Froman, Etowah (9.85) 2. Shreya Munshi, Lambert (9.675) 3. Rubylyn Goad, Newnan (9.625) 4. Ella Castellanos, West Forsyth (9.6)
1. Taylor Rech, Cambridge (9.8) 2. Brianna Greenlow, Lambert (9.75) 3. Olivia Blakely, West Forsyth (9.7) 4. Charlie Behner, Cambridge (9.6)
1. Brianna Greenlow, Lambert (9.6) 2. Ella Castellanos, West Forsyth (9.3) 3. Hallie Stocker, West Forsyth (9.2) 4. Rubylyn Goad, Newnan (8.6)
1. Brianna Greenlow, Lambert (9.9) 2. Altagracia Frazier, Tucker (9.375) 3. Hallie Stocker, West Forsyth (9.3) 4. Ella Castellanos, West Forsyth (9.225)
1. North Oconee (113.8) 2. Denmark (108.55) 3. Buford (108.05) 4. Westminster (99.625)
1. Sarah Wilson, Denmark (38.8) 2. Elena Arenas, North Oconee (38.55) 3. Cyrena Whalen, Buford (38.075) 4. Chase Brock, Denmark (37.3)
Uneven Parallel Bars
1. Sarah Wilson, Denmark (10.00) 2. Elena Arenas, North Oconee (9.7) 3. Cyrena Whalen, Buford (9.65) 4. Kelsey Schulman, Buford (9.4)
1. Sarah Wilson, Denmark (9.8) 1. Brantley Lucas, North Oconee (9.8) 3. Karlee Wells, North Oconee (9.625) 4. Elena Arenas, North Oconee (9.625)
1. Maylen Pulliam, North Oconee (9.4) 2. Cyrena Whalen, Buford (9.35) 2. Brantley Lucas, North Oconee (9.35) 4. Sarah Wilson, Denmark (9.3)
1. Sarah Wilson, Denmark (9.7) 2. Madelynn Crow, Pike (9.675) 3. Elena Arenas, North Oconee (9.65) 4. Cyrena Whalen, Buford (9.575)