Spring News May 2019 Vol.11 No. 1
It's been wet here in the Northeast...May flowers are loving the many April showers bestowed upon us...we are all enjoying the colors of Spring...
- Adaptogens Line Selected as Award Finalist
- Our New Website is Live!
- State Taxes are... complicated
- David Winston's Students: Where Are They Now? Maria Benito-Herrero
- Helping Nepalese, Bhutanese, and Tibetan Refuges in the Himalayas
Too Much Plastic...Long-Awaited Tamper Evident Tops are Here!
- Upcoming Events
Herbal Jeopardy Contest
2019 Herbal Salon Schedule
Monthly Specials-Check them Out!
Adaptogens Line Selected as Award Finalist...
Adaptogens Line is 1 of 3 finalists for a coveted
NutraIngredients-USA Botanical Product of the Year award,
which will be announced in early June.
From the Nomination:
- "This product line strikes the perfect balance between
- how herbs have been used traditionally - as customized formulas developed for each individual by a trained herbalist - and
- the modern marketplace where there is no longer a trained herbalist in every community so people buy "one size fits all" products from stores and hope for the best.
- The Herbalist & Alchemist line of Adaptogen Formulas draws upon the knowledge of a renowned herbalist with the experience to develop focused herbal blends that allow consumers to choose the formula that suits their individual needs."
We're truly honored just to be a finalist, especially given how painstakingly judged these awards are, but, hone
stly, we really, really hope to win. Stay tuned!
Have you checked out the brand-new H&A Website?
- It's up and running, and the reviews are overwhelmingly positive.
- Ordering is faster and easier than on our previous site, you can:
- view past orders
- easily reorder
- even save your shopping cart for later
- The site works on mobile phones and tablets too.
Current Customer first time logging into your account?
IMPORTANT TIP: Make sure you log in when placing your order to view your account information.
To confirm you are logged in correctly, check the top left of the screen for your account number and name. You always have the option to check out as a guest but that order information will not be saved to your account.
- CLICK HERE to reset your password.
- Use the email address associated with your account. If you do not know which email that is or need to update your email, contact Customer Service 800-611-8235 and they will help.
ONLY YOU can save or change the credit card information on your account.
GIVE US YOUR FEEDBACK - Nothing helps us fine tune features and resolve glitches faster than your input,
please click following button to give us your feedback on how the new website is working for you:
Sales Taxes are...complicated!
The Supreme Court's decision in South Dakota vs. Wayfair, Inc has brought major changes in how state sales tax are charged for products bought online.
It's complicated; so we are using a tax solutions service. Charges for sales tax in some states will kick in on June 1, July 1 for others and for still others when we reach economic nexus thresholds. If you see new charges for sales tax, this is why.
Important note: if you are a wholesaler, make sure you have given us the correct documentation so you don't pay sales taxes twice.
David Winston's Students: Where Are They Now?
We love to interview David Winston's former s
tudents to find out what motivated them to study herbal medicine and how they
g their training.
Dr. Maria Benito-Herrero of
Integral Endocrinology, LLC. is
trained as an endo
people's hormonal status. She finds the work of developing integrative treatment or preventive plans for those with hormonal disorders very rewarding.
Using the knowledge from David's class, she incorporates medication
s when needed,
lifestyle changes, mind-body therapy, botanicals and supplements.
Helping Nepalese, Bhutanese, and Tibetan Refuges in the Himalayas
Dr. Janet Galipo has once again traveled to a remote location in Nepal to bring healthcare to impoverished villages. She joined other medical practitioners on behalf of
Be Healthy Inc., a non-profit organization dedicated to providing healthcare to people of low income. The group is just returning from Nepal, where they provided services to over 2,000 people who have no access to other forms of healthcare. Treatments included conventional medical checks, as needed, and holistic services such as acupuncture, manual therapy, mental/emotional therapy, as well as herbal medicine and vitamins
Janet wrote to us earlier this year: "During our trip there at the end of 2017, we saw so much that was needed in the way of medical services. There is very little healthcare and a person living in Katmandu has to be very sick to be taken to a hospital. There is really no concept of checkups or "well" doctor visits. Outside of the city, there is virtually no healthcare at all, and if someone is sick they basically have to tend to their illness as well as they can, with very little hope of intervention.
The healthcare needs of Nepal are so very different from the West. In Nepal, it is more a matter of infectious diseases including T.B. and hepatitis and lots of pain conditions from carrying heavy loads and back-breaking work. There is also a lot of general weakness and deficiency due to limited food supplies and other challenging living conditions."
As we do every time Janet asks, we sent a lot of products. This year some specific requests included:
- Emotional Relief and Grief Relief - for the children who were orphaned when their parents who worked in the city were killed in the earthquake
- All Lung Relief formulas - there are many respiratory issues due to poor air quality
- Compound Mullein Oil - ear infections are common
Too Much Plastic...Long-Awaited Tamper Evident Tops are Here!!
We challenge ourselves to reduce our use of resources. Recently we targeted plastic wrap, because every little bit helps.
- Our new tamper evident bottle caps. No more hard-to-open purple & green seals, and less packaging waste - you just twist the top to break the seal.
- We are redesigning our kit boxes to eliminate plastic wrap.
- We no longer pack our 8 oz size bottles in plastic bags as we found it unnecessary.
We will continue looking at our operations to see what else we can do, and encourage you to do the same.
What are you doing to reduce your plastic use?
May 31 - June 3
Medicines from the Earth Botanical Conference
Black Mountain, NC
David Winston RH(AHG) will be leading an
Ethnobotanical and Native Plant Field Study, and teaching classes on
Nervines: Building a Better Foundation for the Nervous System and TCM/Ayurvedic Herbs that Western Clinicians need to know. Stop by our table,
ENTER TO WIN a Build Your Herbal Library Basket, and pick up a
International Herb Symposium, Wheaton College, Norton, MA
Stop by our Table, Pick up a
ENTER TO WIN a Build Your Herbal Library Basket
New York Open Center, NY, NY
David will be teaching a one-day workshop on
North Carolina Herb Association Wild Herb Weekend,
River Mills, North Carolina
David will be the keynote speaker
David Winston's Herbal Jeopardy-Spring Edition Contest
Answer correctly & you will be entered into a drawing to win a H&A "cash card" worth
towards future purchases of our quality products.
Our Winter Contest winner was Wendy Moeller, but congrats to all who answered Chinese Asparagus, botanical name "Asparagus cochinchinensis
David Winston's Herbal Salon 2019 Schedule*
If you have not attended David's free
, you're missing a unique educational opportunity. O
pen to Herbalist & Alchemist wholesale accounts
, these take place online once a month on Wednesdays at Noon Eastern time. If you are a practitioner or health food store employee and
wish to receive an invitation to the next Herbal Salon please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
June 5 - Men's Health
July 10 - Fibromyalgia
August 7 - Children's Health
September 4 - Concentration & Focus
October 2 - Respiratory
November 6 - Adaptogens
December 4 - Emotional Stress
*Dates and Topics are subject to change
Eager to expand your herbal medicine knowledge? Next class starts in 2020...
Thinking about enrolling in the September 2020 class? You can attend the two-year course in person or online.
David's past students use their training in a variety of ways: clinical work, research, hospital care, product manufacturing, retailing and educating.
Use the button above to find more information or see where else David is teaching on his Center for Herbal Studies website