Every summer many businesses hire young workers for part time employment. It may be an employee’s son, daughter, grandchild, neighbor or the kid that lives down the street.
In Saskatchewan young workers (between ages of 15-24) enter the workforce looking to make some extra money. Companies hire young workers to help fill the void, while their existing full time workers take advantage of summer vacation time.
Some questions you may want to ask before a young worker begins work at your location this summer:
- Are young workers given a proper orientation?
- Are they given proper training so they can fulfill their job responsibilities?
- Are they wearing the proper PPE?
- Are they receiving adequate supervision?
- Do they know who to talk to if they have safety questions/concerns?