Unable to Access Your SAMS Account?
How to View Your SAMS Security Questions:
- Click "Forgot Your Password".
- Enter your User ID.
- Complete email address used to register for SAMS account Click "Forgot Your Password".
- Click "Ok".
- You will be prompted to provide answers to your security questions that were created during the SAMS registration process.
- Answers are case-sensitive.
- Login to Your SAMS Account.
- Enter your User ID.
- Click "My Profile" on the left hand navigation bar under "Menu".
- You will be taken to the "Welcome to SAMS" page.
- Select the "Modify My Identity Data" task from the menu on the far left navigation bar.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page to view your security questions and answers.
- Very Critical-record and securely store your security questions and answers.
- If you are unable to remember the answers to your security questions, you will have to re-register to receive a new SAMS grid card.
What to do if NHSN Facility Administrator is leaving the facility:
- We understand that nursing home staff turnover happens for different reasons.
- Very Critical-If the NHSN facility administrator is leaving the facility:
- Reassign the role to another member of your facility prior to the administrator's departure. This eliminates delays in data reporting.
- Only the user listed as the NHSN facility administrator can reassign the role to another user.
- Please notify HSAG staff. (Tara Rhone at email@example.com or 813.865.3191).
- If the NHSN Facility Administrator leaves the facility without reassigning the role
- A formal letter is required by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to request the role change
- Please notify HSAG for further guidance. (Tara Rhone at firstname.lastname@example.org or 813.865.3191).
Deactivate users who are no longer with the facility
- Users who are no longer with the facility should be deactivated from the facility.
- To view all NHSN users within your facility, click "Users" then "Find" on the left hand NHSN navigation bar.
- On the "Find" user screen, leave all fields blank and click the "Find" button to see the list of all NHSN users that have been added to your facility.
- To deactivate a user, click on the check box in the "Deactivate" column then click the deactivate button at the top of the column.
- Click "Ok" to confirm that you would like to deactivate the user.
Adding Secondary/Backup Users
- HSAG and the CDC highly recommend that each facility add at least one (1) active user in the event that the primary user is on vacation or is no longer with the facility.
- Steps to add additional users:
- Click on "Users" then "Add" on the left hand navigation bar.
- On the "Add User" screen, enter the UserID (any combination of letters and numbers made up by the facility, name, phone number, and email address.
- Click "Save".
- On the "Add User Rights" screen, check the box next to the appropriate level of rights for the new user and click "Save".
- The new user will then receive an email to start the process to gain access to the NHSN. HSAG is available to assist with the registration process.
Updating User Information
- If your personal information has recently changed (i.e. name or email address), please update your information
- Go to the SAMS page and enter your user name, password, and grid card credentials: https://sams.cdc.gov .
- In the upper right hand corner click on the "My Profile" link.
- Example, if your email address changed, click on the "Change My Email" link on the left side of the page.
- Enter the new email address and click "Submit" to make the change.
- You will receive an email verification link. Click on the verification link to confirm your new/corrected email address.